Job Description Summary
This is an entry level position, performing work involving the appearance and general care of grounds at Lock Haven University.
Work schedule: Monday through Friday)
5/20/13 to 8/23/13: 7AM to 3PM 1st shift
- Knowledge of materials, methods, procedures, tools and equipments appropriate to the operation area assigned.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary in the area of work assignment.
- Operate any/all equipment used in grounds maintenance.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to perform a variety of maintenance tasks.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. frequently, 100 lbs. occasionally and 100+ lbs. with assistance to move heavy objects.
- Ability to work under adverse weather conditions, including snow removal.
- Ability to perform moderately strenuous tasks including moving furniture.
- Ability to drive an automobile or pickup truck as required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with superiors and other employees.
- Follow verbal and written instruction.
- Lays out and participates in planting, watering, sodding, spraying and trimming and cleaning work on lawns, gardens and walks.
- Participates in the maintenance and marking of athletic fields; removes dirt, rubbish, snow, leaves and other refuse and maintains roads, lawns, sheds, benches and parking places.
- Move furniture, desks, tables, etc., to various campus locations.
- Set up chairs, desks, tables, benches, bleachers, podiums, pianos, etc., for a wide variety of college programs, including commencement exercised, athletic events, student programs, registrations, etc.
- Operates mechanized and motorized groundskeeping equipment such as gang mowers, rollers, and roto-tillers.
- Participates in filling, surfacing, hauling and fertilizing operations.
- Performs related work as required.
(Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
One year of experience in grounds keeping work and a high school diploma.
Must possess a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License.
The successful candidate must be able to communicate well and/or perform well in an interview and successfully complete the interview process.
- Good physical condition to permit long hours of indoor/outdoor physical labor.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Lift, climb, bend, kneel in order to complete assigned tasks.
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicants
Lock Haven University is profoundly dedicated to cultural diversity and supports the integration of diverse and international perspectives within the working and learning environment. LHU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from people of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. To learn more about diversity at LHU and in our community, visit our website at www.lhup.edu/equity
A career at Lock Haven University ( LHU ) is a distinctly unique and exciting opportunity. We encourage and support diversity and international perspectives within the working and learning environment. LHU is located in central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River and the picturesque Bald Eagle Mountains. LHU is one of fourteen universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education ( PASSHE ).
Annual Security Report (Clery Act)
The Lock Haven University’s Annual Security Report and Fire Safety Report are now available on-line or in paper form by request. Federal law requires these reports to contain policy statements, crime and fire safety statistics for the university. The policy statements address the university’s policies, procedures, and programs concerning safety and security, i.e. policies for responding to emergency situations, fire safety procedures and statistics, and sexual offenses, etc. Three years’ worth of statistics is included for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on campus, in on-campus buildings, or off-campus sites property owned or controlled by the university and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to the campus. The Security Report is available online at
The Fire Safety Report is available online at http://www.lhup.edu/public_safety/fire_safety.htm.
You may also request a paper copy from the Public Safety Office located in the Glennon Infirmary building or by calling 570-484-2278.
Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania - 22 months ago