Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,600+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S. and Canada.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Corporate Consumer Protection Department has an opening for a Group Director, Quality Assurance. This position is located in Pleasanton, CA.
This position will provide leadership, policy development, systems planning, program administration and monitoring of all consumer protection activities to assure the products Safeway companies offer to their customers are safe, wholesome, accurately measured, properly labeled and correctly priced. The Group Director will provide the strategic leadership necessary to drive key initiatives throughout the organization in order to reinforce food safety and sanitation as core values of the company.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Lead and direct the Consumer Protection Group. Manage and oversee corporate work force and provide directional leadership for regional CPG associates.
• Advise company management on regulatory compliance pertaining to food safety, facility sanitation, weights & measures and pricing accuracy.
• Develop retail food safety, facility sanitation, weights & measures and pricing accuracy policies and SOPs.
• Serve as a key contact with federal, state and local regulatory agencies.
• Identify consumer protection opportunities within retail operations. Prioritize issues and lead resolution activities to drive sustainable change.
• Direct company wide product recall activities related to food safety. Serve as a key technical advisor for the crisis management team.
• Identify and implement innovative training materials to support retail and food service establishments in executing consumer protection standards.
• Serve as the key contact for identification and resolution of food safety issues or problems identified by the perishable BUGMs.
• Advise corporate and division public relations associates on emerging food safety issues including technical accuracy of media events.
• Responsible for the development and implementation of compliance audits and programs to assure goals, objectives, policies and priorities are being met.
• Review equipment, facility designs, processes and new concepts for potential regulatory issues or food safety risks.
• Develop, manage and maintain accountability of consumer protection budget.
• Oversee department personnel activities including performance evaluations, training, recruitment and disciplinary activities.
• Responsible for the development of fact based reporting systems and statistical tools to track key consumer protection indicators and department action plans.
• Anticipate and monitor evolving regulatory standards and government actions. Interpret changes and take appropriate action to revise policies and procedures.
• Develop, implement and track 3rd party verification programs to assure compliance of regulatory or best practice guidelines.
• Bachelor’s degree required in Microbiology, Food Science/Food Technology or Public Health. M. S. degree in Public Health, Microbiology or Food Science preferred or additional years of experience beyond minimum requirements.
• Minimum 10 years experience in directing food safety and/or regulatory affairs for a consumer packaged good company or serving as a public health professional for a state or local regulatory agency. Experience must be at the manager or director level and should include oversight and experience with retail or food service operations (QSR's etc.).
• 5 + years experience designing and leading innovative food safety/sanitation approaches for a perishable manufacturing organization with proficiencies in produce, meat, seafood, deli, bakery or other food service products.
• Expertise and knowledge of FDA-Food Code, Title 21- Code of Federal Regulations, GAPs, HACCP, NIST Handbook 130 & CFR Title 16, etc.
• Extensive experience interfacing with federal, state and local regulatory agencies required. Prior experience serving as a key contact for regulatory agencies. Knowledge and expertise in dealing with USDA & FDA recall guidelines.
• Experience developing and implementing HACCP programs. Formal HACCP certification required (Seafood HACCP certification a plus).
• Minimum of 5 years experience working directly with customers (national retail or restaurant chains) in identify and resolving regulatory issues related to food safety and weights & measures.
• Project management experience required. Excellent organizational, planning and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to motivate, lead and influence various levels of the organization.
• Formal media training preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong analytical and technical writing skills required.
• Prior budget development and management experience required.
• Energetic, self-motivated and the ability to manage multiple projects.
• Knowledge and expertise with Microsoft Office Suite required.
• Ability to multi-task and self manage complex workloads.
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting www.careersatsafeway.com
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For many Americans, "going to Safeway" is synonymous with "going to the grocery store." Safeway is one of North...