The hourly custodian is responsible for the care, cleaning, and maintenance of city facilities, and to perform other related work as assigned. This recruitment may also be used to fill other custodial positions that become available, with various schedules.
Hourly Custodians are scheduled to work approximately 20-30 hours per week.
Applicants will be notified only if selected for an interview.
As conditions of employment, the City of Carlsbad will require a medical examination through a city selected Occupational Medicine clinic, verify the employee’s legal right to work in the United States, and conduct a Department of Justice LiveScan Fingerprint report.
**Hourly positions are non-benefitted, and cannot exceed 980 hours in one fiscal year.
Typical duties may include:
- Sweep, vacuum, mop, wax, and polish floors;
- Dust and polish furniture, woodwork, fixtures, countertops and equipment;
- Clean windows, walls and blinds;
- Empty and clean waste receptacles;
- Clean and maintain supplies in restrooms;
- Replace lights and adjust shades and blinds;
- Lock and unlock doors;
- Pick up papers and other debris;
- Perform minor maintenance of custodial equipment;
- Perform a variety of routine jobs related to custodial services;
- Regularly required to lift and move objects that may weigh up to 50 pounds.
- Methods, materials, and equipment used in building housekeeping and light duty maintenance work;
- Safe work practices.
- Maintain custodial records;
- Work nights and odd shifts as required;
- Clean and care for assigned areas and equipment;
- Use a variety of custodial equipment and materials;
- Understand and carry out verbal and written directions;
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Practice city policies and procedures regarding custodial maintenance; and
- Work independently
Experience & Education:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and two years experience performing duties comparable to those of a custodian.
Possession of an appropriate California Driver's License.
While performing the duties of this position, an employee is regularly required to sit; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office and cleaning equipment; and reach with hands and arms. This position will typically require: bending, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, walking, lifting, fingering, talking, climbing, seeing and repetitive motions. While performing the duties, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; and interact with staff, vendors, and others encountered in the course of work. Incumbents are regularly required to lift, move furniture, move packages and objects that may weigh up to 50 pounds. When performing work either inside or outside a facility incumbents are subject to cleaning materials and supplies, chemicals, oils, and inadequate lighting.