The City of Carlsbad Communications Department currently has an opening for an Hourly Graphic Designer. Scheduled work hours will be 15-20 hours per week.
All applicants are required to submit a professional resume and a project portfolio/original design samples in order to be considered for the position. The project portfolio and/or original design samples can be uploaded as an attachment to the applicant's professional resume or be submitted as a URL to an on-line portfolio.
Applicants will be notified only if selected for an interview.
Candidates who are selected must be prepared to show their portfolio at the interview.
Hourly positions are not benefited and cannot exceed 1,000 total hours worked within one fiscal year.
The following are the examples of the types of job duties that may be found in the Hourly Graphic Designer role:
- Create print and digital content in accordance with city branding guidelines that effectively market a wide variety of city programs and services to the community
- Operate printing and finishing equipment.
- Assist with related administrative and clerical work as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required :
- Ability to convey an organizational brand via multiple channels, tailored to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of graphic design and layout using Adobe Creative Suite applications
- Familiarity with print production processes, such as file preparation and finishing
- Photo and illustration editing skills
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Top-notch customer service
- Knowledge of principles of Web design and photography skills are highly desirable
Experience & Education:
Any combination of training, education and experience which demonstrates the possession of the knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Associate's Degree or substantial coursework from an accredited college or university in graphic design
- Two or more years of practical work experience in graphic design or a related field