The City of Carlsbad Parks & Recreation Department currently has an opening for an Hourly (part-time) Recreation Leader located at the Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park.
As an Hourly Recreation Leader, the incumbent will have an ability to perform a full range of duties as assigned, working independently and exercising judgment and initiative. Hourly Recreation Leaders receive instruction and/or assistance during the day from the Senior Recreation Leaders. Hourly Recreation Leaders are able to adjust when new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work. Independent judgment is required to identify, select, and apply the most appropriate of available guidelines and procedures, interpret precedents, and adopt standard methods or practices to meet variations in facts and/or conditions.
The scheduled work hours for an Hourly Recreation Leader will vary and may be distributed over all hours that the Leo Carrillo Ranch is open, including weekends. Applicants must be willing to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Hourly positions are not benefited and cannot exceed 1,000 total hours worked within one fiscal year.
Applicants will be notified only if selected for an interview.
Daily responsibilities of a Recreation Leader may include but are not limited to:
- Assist in the setup and breakdown of special events; Coordinate with contracted personnel and outside vendors during special events; Provide staff support for special events
- Staff Visitor Center/Museum as needed
- Coordinate and assist with daily overall site operations as needed
- Administer simple first-aid as needed
- Serve as public relations person for the department;
- Responsible for proper opening and closing of buildings, including locks, alarms, etc.
- Responsible for keeping buildings and grounds clean and well maintained
- Direct and supervise participants of events
- Maintain records pertinent to events, implement community oriented event planning while ensuring the health, welfare, and safety of the programs participants
- Work closely with the Senior Recreation Leaders to ensure the success of the program through preparation, execution and evaluation of the program
- Assist other staff in organizing and cleaning facility areas and equipment; establish and maintain relationships with clients, participants, contracted vendors and other key individuals;
- Maintain a fun and positive attitude daily to create happy environment for participants
- Attend monthly staff meetings as well as other meetings and trainings pertinent to program areas; and
- Other duties assigned.
Hourly Recreation Leaders are required to have prior related experience that allows the employee to meet the qualification standards. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required:
Knowledge of :
- Basic philosophy of parks and recreation principles, procedures of daily park operations
- Basic first aid methods and techniques; safety precautions and procedures
- Experience utilizing basic computer software programs
- Learn Leo Carrillo Ranch procedures/daily operations and execute according to those outlined procedures and instructions
- Work under limited supervision
- Maintain accurate records
- Plan and organize work to meet set schedules and deadlines;
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Evaluate emergency situations and act decisively and effectively to resolve them
- Learn Ranch computer software program
- Communicate clearly, concisely, both orally and in writing
Experience & Education:
Any combination equivalent to the experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade, supplemented by specialized college level courses in recreation, event planning, anthropology, or another closely related field, and experience working with the public in a park or hospitality industry setting.
Special Requirements/License or Certificate
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR and first aid certification
- Must possess a valid California Driver’s License.
While performing the duties, employees of this class are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; observe and interpret people and situations; learn and apply new information or skills; and interact with staff and others encountered in the course of work. Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach, withstand exposure to the outdoors and lift up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus to read and operate office and computer equipment as necessary during the course of the work assignments.
Incumbents may occasionally need to travel to various city locations or to off-site locations as necessary and as the assignment demands. Use of personal vehicle may be required with mileage reimbursed per the requirements of the IRS standard mileage rate.
City of Carlsbad, CA - 18 months ago