Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: SVP, HR
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Human Resources
Date Last Modified: October 2013
Provides administrative support to all phases of human resources activity by performing the following duties.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include the following specific tasks. Other duties may be assigned at any time.
• Compiles EEOC, Human Rights Compliance Reports, and Affirmative Action Plan Reporting and any other government reporting and submits to appropriate agencies-City of St. Paul and State of Minnesota.
• Completes handbook updates (prepared by SVP, HR) and posts them in Infinity HR (HRIS), as required
• Gathers and submits Non-Discrimination Testing to carrier
• Sends current job description to hiring manager to make sure job description/job posting directions are accurate.
• Clarify which specific jobs sites from hiring manager for each job posting
• Works with hiring manager to establish screening questions for job posting.
• Once job is approved, posts job in Taleo (ATS), other job posting boards, and other relevant Affirmative Action sites.
• Reviews candidate applications that apply for position and sends qualified candidates to hiring managers.
• Reviews telephone interview questions with hiring manager and SVP/HR
• Conducts telephone interviews with candidates
• Reviews phone interviews with SVP/HR to determine next steps.
• Sets up face to face interviews and assessment testing as needed
• Attends related job fairs as needed
• Sends offer letter and offer packet to new hire via USPS mail or email message
• Conducts new employee orientation, ensures all new hire paperwork is completed
• Conducts new hire 60 day follow up
• Complete questionnaires (with help of SVP, HR) and returns to unemployment office
• Data entry of all information into HRIS
• Updates information such as personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations
• Inputs increase/bonus information and provides information to payroll.
• Gathers information for quarterly contribution audits
• Pulls files and reports for Yearly audits (401K carrier in January and the other in June)
• Contribution Changes-enters changes in HRIS and communicates changes to payroll
• Initiates termination notices to carrier
• Wellness Initiatives (Flu Shots, biometric screenings, benefit fairs)
• Works with SVP, HR on open enrollment materials and open enrollment communications (hard copy & intranet) to employees
• Works with manager or employee to obtain information on First Report of Injury and submit to carrier
• Enters worker’s compensation claim information into carrier’s claim system
• Assists with wage surveys within labor market to determine competitive wage rate. Gathers and submit salary data to various organizations for salary surveys (CEL, NAIOP, Retailers)
• Uses Payscale Compensation system to:
o Run compensation reports
o Adding/removing employees
o Updating jobs
o Updating employee pay (salary, bonuses) in HRIS system
• Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
• Prepare exit packet, conducts exit interview, complete term checklist
• Severance – track, mail out
• Written and verbal – complete as needed with assistance from SVP, HR & payroll
• Submit monthly inventory spreadsheet to accounting that includes job postings and profile assessments.
• Create performance models and benchmarks in Profiles International website
• Scans all personnel documents and corresponding files
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Job requirements
• Required: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university
• Work Experience
• Required: One year related Human Resources experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Past Affirmative Action experience a plus.
2. Knowledge, skills & abilities
• Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
• Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
• Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
• Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of HR Office Human Resource systems and Word Processing software.
• Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Welsh is a full-service commercial real estate company, established in 1977. For over 30 years, Welsh Companies has and continues to provide...