This role will provide HR Generalist support to multiple Alere sites that report into the Drugs of Abuse (DOA) and Toxicology business. The primary function of these sites is manufacturing and testing disposable clinical diagnostics / medical devices. Sites are located in Southern California and in the Bay Area and range from approximately 50 to 100 employees. This role will focus on HR systems, recruitment, onboarding, employee development, performance management, and employee relations.
The HR Generalist will report to the VP of Human Resources and also have accountability towards the individual business managers at different sites.
Major Functional Objectives:
- Directly responsible for scaling businesses to market needs.
- Develop and execute against an overall recruitment strategy for different businesses that share the same market and business by Q2 2014. (30% of time through Q3)
- Train managers in performance management, coaching, situational leadership, change management, team structure and other management tools.
- Review, define, and implement salary grades for a variety of positions including, Scientists, Manufacturing Operators, Regulatory Affairs, & Quality Assurance. (5% of time)
- Lead annual review process for various sites – approximately 200+ employees.
- Policy adherence (5%)
- Development and execution of full cycle recruitment and onboarding strategies.
- Take site responsibility for maintaining HR Systems (HRIS Workday, Applicant Tracking Taleo, etc.)
- Implement roll out of self service to employees.
Management & Organizational Challenges:
- Understand business needs for different Alere sites and tie ins to corporate initiatives/goals.
- Selection and strategy development for Staffing Agency partnerships.
- Employee on-boarding, exit interviews, providing reporting and information to managers.
- Continuous review and check in against site goals.
- Administrative support and tasks such as data entry (401k changes, Workday changes, HR Reports)
Changes & Improvements Necessary:
- Heavy focus on operational efficiencies, manufacturing, and delivering consistent product quality and performance.
- Strong focus on delivering product quality and performance to all markets.
- Some site output is manufactured for other Alere entities (internal customers).
Problems to be solved:
- Create consistency across relevant DOA/Toxicology sites by leveraging strengths of each site and HR best practices and processes.
- Most employees have little formal training in technical or behavioral areas. A substantial amount of employee and management development is desired.
Technical Skills in actual situation:
- Fast growth. Business has been doubling in some areas.
- Integration of recent acquisitions (technology, manufacturing) into Alere sites.
- Substantial language barriers are in place which need to be addressed through acceptance, up-skilling, and formal translation.
Team Skills in Actual Situation:
- Experience using Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS), Workday preferred.
- Experience using Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS), Taleo preferred.
- CA Employment Law or similar background.
- MS Suite – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Capability of mentoring and training employee development skills.
Environment / Culture:
- Needs to be able to independently make business impactful HR decisions.
- Routinely works with site general managers
- Follow through on commitments must be impeccable.
- Owns decisions.
- Leverage HR DOA/TOX team skills/experiences when assistance is needed.
- Operational focused sites are multicultural manufacturing environments, where many employees speak English as a second language (Vietnamese, Mandarin/Cantonese or Spanish). Multi-lingual background preferred.
- High volume, fast paced dynamic environment.
- Previous demonstrated experience as HR Generalist
- Manufacturing, Operations, or medical device experience strongly preferred.
- Travel requirements – majority of work will be in San Diego County, some travel to Irvine will be required, minimal travel to the Bay Area.
- Strong language skills in Mandarin, Cantonese, or Vietnamese
United States of America-California-San Diego
General & Administrative
Alere - 11 months ago
When you really need an answer -- fast -- toss out the crystal ball and bring in Alere. The company offers both professional and consumer...