JOB TITLE: HUMAN RESOURCES GENERALIST
REPORTS TO: Human Resources Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF PURPOSE AND GOALS:
The Human Resources Generalist facilitates communication among a number of departments, and provides general assistance and information to staff about BRC procedures. S/he performs multiple Human Resources Department services for staff and helps the Human Resources Director (HRD) to accomplish various tasks related to recruiting, compensation, benefits, human relations, and risk management.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
HUMAN RESOURCES: schedules meetings or appointments for the HRD; converses frequently with HRD regarding current human resources issues so that when the HRD is not available, the HR Assistant can assist by collecting information from or providing information to employees relating to Human Resources issues; assists with hiring process paperwork (e.g., submits payroll forms to Finance Department, requests and monitors receipt of background checks, creates and files documents in employee-specific personnel files, assists with completion of forms to request insurance coverage, makes employee name tags, issues security access cards to employees in accordance with BRC policies and procedures); assists with general orientations for new staff; maintains a working supply of Human Resources forms and Employee Handbooks; answers staff questions relating to medical and dental claims (including Flexible Spending Account) and makes various types of contacts to facilitate payment; reconciles benefit invoices, supports Payroll personnel when needed; receives and records Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) payments from past employees for continuation of health insurance benefits, records receipt of payments, and submits payments to Business Office for processing; sells bus passes to employees; assists the HRD with special projects.
BAYVIEW COMMUNITY: contributes through words and actions to the development of a cohesive, ethical, congenial and multicultural workforce; supports Bayview Retirement Community’s commitment to providing high quality services in an enriching, cost-effective, spiritual, caring and dignified social environment.
OTHER: complies with applicable laws and regulations including the state criminal background check; attends mandatory meetings and in-service training programs; adheres to Bayview Retirement Community policies and procedures; respects the confidentiality of information relating to residents, children, families, staff, and sensitive business information; cooperates with annual tuberculosis testing and/or symptom screening; responds appropriately to emergency situations using knowledge and skills to protect the well-being of one’s self and others; performs other duties as assigned.
1. Knowledge and Skill
2. Supervision Received
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma and PHR Certification.
- A minimum of 3 years experience working with HR concepts & processes.
- Excellent verbal and good written communication skills.
- Hearing, speaking and understanding of English must be consistent with frequent verbal communication in English.
- Excellent problem-solving skills for immediate response to any number of issues that may be expected at a reception desk, including security risks.
- Cheerful and responsive approach to dealing with people, motivated by a caring attitude.
- Excellent organization skills and demonstrated ability to remain calm under most staff service and office work situations.
- Flexibility to move quickly from one task to another quickly under frequently shifting circumstances.
- Demonstrated skill and experience in all of the categories mentioned above under Specific Duties and Responsibilities.
- Equivalent education / experience may be substituted for stated requirements.
3. Judgment and Mental Demands
- Responsible to and receives broad direction from the Human Resources Director.
4. Personal Contacts
- Expected to respond capably to frequent questions, requests, and comments while accomplishing assigned administrative tasks.
- Must provide knowledgeable advice and assistance with completion of various types of Human Resources Department forms and insurance forms.
5. Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Frequent contact with residents, visitors, staff, and managers, as well as business and community representatives.
Position requires an active combination of desk-work, meetings and movement from one location to another to facilitate in-person communications. Stress level tends to be low to moderate.
Bayview Retirement Community - 11 months ago