Bemis Company is a major supplier of flexible packaging and pressure sensitive materials used by leading food, consumer products, healthcare, and other companies worldwide. Founded in 1858, the Company is included in the S&P 500 index of stocks and reported 2012 net sales of $5.1 billion. The Company's flexible packaging business has a strong technical base in polymer chemistry, film extrusion, coating and laminating, printing, and converting. Headquartered in Neenah, Wisconsin, Bemis employs nearly 20,000 individuals worldwide. More information about the Company is available at our website, www.bemis.com .
Human Resources Generalist
Provide support to the Human Resources Manager and Department Managers in assigned matters relating to labor relations for union hourly employees and be a source of contact for HR services to all employees.
Education & Experience Required
- Interprets and administers the collective bargaining agreement and company policies and procedures, partnering with others as needed.
- Partners with the Human Resources Manager in preparing and conducting training sessions for production management on interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Assists the Human Resource Manager with the writing and implementation of new policies and collection of supporting data.
- Communicates effectively and regularly with employees.
- Responsible for employee/labor relations which includes working with employees one-on-one regarding questions, concerns, complaints/grievances.
- Promotes positive work environment for all employees by maintaining HR presence on production floor.
- Assists supervisors and department managers with questions and handling employee issues.
- Provides assistance to production management on labor and employee relations and collective bargaining agreement issues.
- Administers wages, attendance and discipline in accordance with the current labor agreement and policies.
- Assists with investigations and resolution of grievances.
- Provides assistance with arbitration hearings and contract negations as required.
- Participates in employment processes including applicant recruiting and screening, applicant testing, interviewing and job offers.
- Coordinate and administer new employee orientation to ensure all policies/procedures are communicated and compliance requirements are met.
- Ensures that personnel files are maintained in compliance with EEOC and HIPPA requirements.
- Administers wellness initiatives.
- Complies with all federal, state and local employment laws.
- Acts as backup for Human Resource Manager.
- Partners with Shared Services on implementation of benefit programs at site.
- Works with Corporate HR team to maintain salaried job descriptions.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the HR Manager.
Skills & Abilities Needed
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or business related field.
- Five or more years as a Human Resources professional in a union manufacturing environment.
- Attendance at seminars offering training on current employment and HR related laws.
- Participation in HR professional organizations and trade publications.
- Knowledge of Human Resources principles and practices and labor relations required.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of current employment laws required. (i.e. FLSA, ADA, FMLA, COBRA, EEO/AA)
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel with knowledge of Access and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft HRIS system or similar HRIS system is beneficial.
- Knowledge of timekeeping and attendance tracking systems beneficial.
- Must be a self-motivated team player.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and focus on details.
- Must possess good inter-personal skills.
- Must be circumspect and handle all information in a highly confidential manner.
- Dependable, well organized and uses time efficiently.
This position has responsibility for fostering a safe work environment by demonstrating integrity, trust and ethical conduct at all times. A commitment to continuous process improvement will ensure that all HR records are maintained in compliance with legal requirements, that all open positions are filled, that all employees are treated with respect and receive exceptional service and that labor relations issues are resolved in a timely manner. A considerable impact can be made on employee relations through the day-to-day contact and open communication with employees.
- 75% of time is spent working in an office environment requiring normal amounts of sitting, walking, standing, bending and lifting of office supplies. Considerable manual dexterity will be needed for use of computer keyboard and mouse.
- Must be able to communicate orally and in writing.
- Spends approximately 25% of time walking or standing in production areas. May be subject to noise, odor and environmental conditions that are common in the manufacturing environment.
- Must be willing to work hours necessary to fulfill the needs of the job.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Bemis is a global manufacturer of flexible packaging with 2014 net sales from continuing operations of $4.3 billion.