Brookline Bancorp is looking to add an HR Generalist to the Human Resources Team. This position will provide primary HR support to designated business units. Under the guidance of the Employment Manager, this position provides employee relations expertise through consultation and coaching various levels of management assigned to specific business units. The incumbent will serve as the liaison for staffing, recruiting, employee relations, benefits, payroll and learning & development related questions. The goal of the position is to truly partner with assigned business units in order to provide proactive support that is aligned with business goals and employee needs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides advice and coaching to management on employee relations matters while considering risk and limiting legal liability to the organization. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Educate managers on and mediate workplace conflict resolution and respond appropriately if situations escalate. Advise management on sensitive HR issues.
- Partner with employees, managers and other areas within HR to implement and maintain various employee policies and programs in a consistent and equitable manner. Provides input and recommendations on the design of employee policies and programs based on identified needs within the organization.
- Work with individual managers to plan and execute recruitment strategies to ensure that positions are filled in as efficient a manner as possible with the strongest talent available. Coordinate recruitment efforts in compliance with government regulations and organizational policies and procedures throughout the hiring process for all exempt and nonexempt positions within assigned units. Use discretion to determine if candidate applications and resumes should be forwarded to management, interviews internal and external applicants and notifies applicants of consideration or rejection. Extend offers of employment, initiate background checks and ensures completion of new hire documentation.
- Conduct and facilitate new hire meetings and/or structured orientation programs.
- Provide day to day performance management guidance to line management; coaching, counseling, career development and disciplinary actions.
- Ensure that all efforts within HR are aligned with and support the overall performance management strategy including staffing, employee development and training, compliance and employment law and employee relations.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent employee benefits.
- Five to seven years of HR experience with a focus on recruiting and employee relations.
- Relevant industry experience and professional certification preferred.
- Working knowledge of state and federal employment regulations to ensure compliance in hiring practices.
- Working knowledge of Human Resources benefits programs, practices and policies of employment law.
- Proven ability to identify and anticipate client needs and to make recommendations for changes and improvements.
- Proven ability to influence, negotiate and build partnerships with all level of management. Excellent listening, verbal, and written communications skills are required to interact with employees at all levels.
- Display high levels of trust and confidentiality and the ability to use discretion when communicating sensitive information. Excellent ability to be objective and apply independent thinking skills when making decisions that allow for fair and equitable results while minimizing legal risk and liability.
- Ability to utilize knowledge and resources to provide innovative solutions for people management issues.
- Excellent mediation/consultation skills are needed to identify the source of employee and management concerns, recognize, assess and minimize high-risk situations and to determine when intervention is appropriate.
- Ability to handle escalated situations using superior problem solving skills. Ability to work well with a team and comfortable speaking and moderating both large and small groups.
- Ability to be resourceful and comfortable utilizing internal and external contacts to complete assignments.
An equal opportunity employer.
Brookline Bank - 21 months ago