The HR Manager for this position will be assigned to John Hopkins University located in Baltimore, Maryland. This position will be part of the Bon Appetit HR group with reporting responsiblity to the District Manager and other account managers. The position is responsible to manage all the HR activities in a union food service environment. Working relationships are critical with the team of managers, chefs, and employees. Focus will be to advise, recommend, and administer the human resources policies in the areas of positive employee relations, staffing and recruitment, separation, disability and leave management, benefits, job descriptions, compensation, performance management, training, worker’s compensation and HR project management.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Manage the HR programs in the areas of positive employee relations, staffing and recruitment, separation, complex worker’s compensation management, escalated disability and leave management, ADA, wage and hour, benefits knowledge, job descriptions, compensation, performance management, training, and other areas of human resources.
- Advise managers and supervisors on Bon Appetit employment policies, partnering with Labor Relations managers, utilizing the CBA and employee handbook, company policies and procedures, and appropriate practices.
- Manages, develops, and evaluates employee hires and separations.
- Handle all exit interviews for outgoing employees.
- Prepares and processes all necessary hiring and termination paperwork in a timely manner in conjunction with CPM and STAFF.
- Manage employee relations cases by working with employees to resolve sensitive or difficult work-related problems. Conduct investigations, review employee coaching documents and performance action plans.
- Assist with HR-related safety and worker’s compensation cases.
- Administer and set-up all personnel files and ensure they are in compliance with all state and federal laws.
- Assist with the performance evaluation process in content to Bon Appetit standards.
- Serves as the leave of absence liaison between employee and LOA on complicated cases that require HR assistance.
- Conduct training and development courses on HR content to include the open communication process, updated legislative procedures, handbook, policies and procedures, wage/hour, benefits, code of conduct and client special requirements.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information responsibly to include coaching documents, wages, and performance action plans.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A 4-year degree in HR Management, Psychology, or Business Management.
- 5-7 years in HR in lieu of a degree.
- 3-5 years HR experience preferably in a union environment.
- HR experience in food service is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of human resources and payroll concepts, labor relations, employee relations, policies and procedures, employment practices, compensation, LOA, ADA, FMLA, Wage & Hour and performance management and training.
- Strong analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrates organizational skills, problem-solving skills, active listening and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and in integrating information in the completion of assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Demonstrates skill in prioritizing competing work assignments, employing political acumen and integrating information to determine appropriate courses of action and their implications.
- Must be able to handle sensitive personnel issues with confidentiality, tact, and discretion.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- PHR or SPHR certification is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Stand, walk, sit, talk or hear, and taste or smell.
- Walk; use hands or fingers, handle, or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to read and comprehend intricate instructions, correspondence, and memos written in English.
- Ability to write professional correspondence, through email.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to employees, customers, and clients.
- Ability to lead small meeting and trainings with employees and other members of the company.
- Bilingual is a plus but not required for this position.
Bon Appetit Mgmt Co - 9 months ago