Human Resources Manager
VP of Shared Services
Responsible for managing all of the people functions of the organization in accordance with company policies and practices, the ethical and social consciences of business and society laws, regulations and administrative rulings of governmental organizations and other regulatory and advisory authorities and organizations. Also responsible for the strategic human resources planning to provide the company with the best people talent available and to position the company as the employer of choice by being aware of policies, practices and trends within the water utility industry and all industries in general.
- Conduct weekly meetings with HR Team. Provides direction and directives to the department’s staff in the performance of their duties, establishing work priorities and in achieving management initiatives. Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Consult with management providing HR guidance when appropriate.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations.
- Analyze trends and metrics in partnership with HR group to develop solutions, programs and policies.
- Develops recommends and implements personnel policies and procedures; oversees the maintenance of employee handbook on policies and procedures.
- Identifies/implements best practices and lessons learned into program plans.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with legal department as needed/required
- Measures performance of Human Resources and links them to company key performance indicators.
- Communicates changes in company policies and procedures and assures proper compliance is followed.
- Provides day to day performance management guidance to management (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions.
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Coordinates management training in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance review, safety and sexual harassment.
- Administers performance review process to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within organization.
- Conducts employee satisfaction surveys and wage surveys.
- Represents management in investigating, answering and settling grievances, by arranging and scheduling grievance hearings between employee, supervisor and management team.
- Annually updates compensation program; conducts annual salary survey research; analyzes compensation and makes recommendations based on findings.
- Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Prepares and maintains budget for the Human Resources Department.
- Provides HR Policy guidance and interpretation.
- Provide guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning, succession planning.
- Identify training needs for business units and individual executive coaching needs.
- Participate in evaluation and monitoring of success of training programs. Follow-up to ensure training objectives are met. Participates on committees and special projects as requested.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and insures company-wide compliance.
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to provide vision and leadership.
- Ability to delegate responsibility and authority to maximize use of employees’ skills.
- Ability to specify goals and effectively achieve them.
- Ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult and emotional issues.
- Ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is in consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Adapts to changes in work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Possesses excellent management and business literacy skills.
- Strong interpersonal, conflict management and negotiations skills.
- Ability to manage multiple business units in multiple locations.
- Manage multiple conflicting priorities.
- Ability to motivate others in the pursuit of Company goals.
- Ability to mentor, evaluate and guide staff to increase skill level, morale and efficiency.
- Ability to be flexible and available to interact with employees at all levels.
- Excellent consulting skills.
- Ability to be self-directed and self-motivated.
- Develop strong, trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results.
- Effectively envision, develop and implement new strategies to address competitive, complex business issues.
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in HR Management or related field.
Required: HIPAA certification within 30 days of hire.
Preferred: PHR or SPHR.
Required: Minimum of 8-10 of the resolution of complex employee relation issues. Working knowledge of multiple human resources disciplines including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, performance management, and federal and state respective employment laws. Relevant industry experience preferred.
Light to moderate physical activity, requires normal hearing and vision.
Cell Phone, PC and/or laptop, copy/fax/scan machine, telephone and other general office equipment.
Occasional travel will be required.
This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired.
Utlities Inc - 13 months ago