HVAC Mechanic II supervises and performs complex work in the maintenance, repair and electrical service of heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment at North Texas State Hospital - Vernon. Work involves installing, repairing, maintaining and servicing plant equipment and component parts in units such as heating, air conditioning, ventilation and power distribution systems; and determining cause for malfunctioning of units and making necessary electrical or mechanical repairs. Monitors the Plumbing and Electrical Departments, checks work in progress, orders parts and materials, interviews prospective employees and schedules work. Works under general supervision of Assistant Plant Maintenance Manager and Plant Maintenance Manager and exercises moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Works with, supervises, and trains others in the preventative maintenance, breakdown repairs, routine maintenance and planned maintenance of heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC). Checks work in progress and completed for quality, quantity and adherence to specifications, standards and department procedures to ensure reliability and durable equipment operation. (55%)
2. Supervises and performs water tests on boilers, water softener, hot water heaters, and chilled water systems to prevent corrosion and scale buildup ensuring the continued operation of the systems. (5%)
3. Monitors the Plumbing and Electrical Department by scheduling work assignments, preventive maintenance tasks, and general instructions to ensure that the plumbing and electrical codes are followed along with department policies to provide a healthy environment for patients and staff. (10%)
4. Performs recover/recycling of refrigerant from:
• Motor vehicles
• Air Conditioners
Any other equipment containing refrigerant needing repair to ensure strict compliance with EPA standards and provide a healthy environment for patients and staff. (5%)
5. Estimates time and material needed for job/work orders and assists in procurement of materials, and to maintain adequate bench stock to satisfy request and prevent excessive down time of equipment. (5%)
6. Assists supervisor and Plant Engineer with information on qualifications and interviews of new employees for HVAC department following facility and departmental procedures to ensure hiring of capable, qualified employees. (5%)
7. Evaluates and counsels employees on expectations under guidance of PPP system for increased productivity and improved employee development. (5%)
8. Accounts for personal tool inventory by following departmental procedures to ensure safety of patients and employees. Trains and insures HVAC department follows departmental standards on tool accountability. (5%)
9. Employee actively participates and/or serves in a supporting role to meet the agency’s obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. (5%)
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Should have considerable experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of electrical and/or air conditioning, heating and ventilating equipment; sufficient experience to qualify for journeyman status in air conditioning or electrical maintenance and construction.
2. Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, materials, tools, and equipment of air conditioning, heating and ventilating operation, maintenance, and repair; of the hazards and safety precautions of the work.
3. Thorough knowledge of all phases of electrical trade.
4. Skill in locating and correcting defects in refrigeration equipment; in the use of air conditioning and electrical tools/equipment.
5. Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; to work from blue prints and sketches; to lay out and supervise the work of a crew; to maintain labor and materials records; and to prepare simple reports.
6. Must have an acceptable driving record according to standards developed by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
7. Must be enrolled in, or must have completed and passed, an approved six hour defensive driving course. The completion certificate will remain valid for a period of three years.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
1. Must be certified in recover/recycling of refrigerant.
2. Must have the appropriate license for the type of vehicle being driven as required by Texas Civil Statutes
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Must be certified in recovery/recycling of refrigerant.
2. Must have the appropriate license for the type of vehicle being driven as required by Texas Civil Statutes.
3. Graduation from a standard high school or equivalent, supplemented by vocational training is preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
4. Five years experience in HVAC, electrical, and plumbing maintenance and repair is required.
5. Five years supervisory experience is required.
6. Maintenance experience in a maximum security hospital environment is preferred.
7. The ability to operate a personal computer and knowledge of various programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) is preferred.
8. Experience with PPM and Access HR procedures is preferred.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview. req#224297
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services - 17 months ago