Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Monitor and maintain heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment; perform repairs, and general and preventive maintenance on large capacity centrifugal chillers, refrigeration systems, evaporative coolers, chillers, electrical/mechanical controls, controllers and general plumbing throughout assigned facility and install, repair, test and rebuild backflow devices on all boilers.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements:
Related education and experience may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
High school diploma or GED supplemented by a two (2) year formal apprenticeship program of specialized training in boiler and air conditioning maintenance and repair, plus four (4) years boiler and air conditioning maintenance and repair experience.
When assigned to Municipal Development:
Possession of a New Mexico Driver's License (Class D), or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
Possession of a State of New Mexico Journeyman Refrigeration (JR) license.
Possession of a certificate in EPA recovery and/or back flow prevention.
Possession of a State of New Mexico Journeyman Plumber (JP), Journeyman Electrician (JE98), Journeyman Gas (JG), Journeyman Pipefitter (JPF), Journeyman Sheet Metal (JSM) or Boiler Operator License preferred.
- Operating principles of a wide range of heating, ventilation and air conditioning units
- Operating principles of variable frequency drive and building automation systems
- Methods and techniques of high and low pressure boiler maintenance and repair
- Local and state codes related to boilers, air conditioning and electrical systems maintenance and repair
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
Preferred Skills & Abilities:
- Operate a variety of specialty HVAC maintenance equipment and tools in a safe and effective manner
- Overhaul or replace major HVAC operating components
- Read and use precision measuring instruments and gauges and understand the functional nature of installed machinery and systems
- Repair and maintain plumbing fixtures and gas and water systems
- Work independently in the absence of supervision