This position works primarily with the Hard of Hearing Program and services in the Greensboro Regional Center in Greensboro, NC. Individuals in this position typically works with persons who are hard of hearing, late-deafened, and older adults in the 10 counties and requires travel within and occasionally outside the region. This position provides advocacy, information and referral, skill development to enhance communication skills, consultation services to families, employers, etc. and assistance in regards to telecommunation access including telephone equipment and various assistive technologies. The HHSS provides education and public presentations to agencies and organizations in the areas of DSDHH programs, hearing loss, sensitivity, awareness, and legislation as it relates to issues affecting those with hearing loss. The HHSS also participates in community events such as health & wellness fairs, hearing screenings, job fairs and other events promoting equal communication access.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
Knowledge of hearing loss and it's impact on daily lives of individuals who have hearing loss and their families. Knowledge of resources, assistive devices (including hearing aids), techniques and other tools to assist in achieving equal communication access including laws, consumer organizations, etc. Applicant must be able to communiate effectively with adults, especially senior adults who have hearing loss. Applicant must also have basic computer skills.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Master's degree in a human services field such as social work, counseling, psychology, special education, deaf education, or rehabilitation counseling or related curriculum and one year of experience in social work or counseling, preferably with the client population; or a bachelor's degree in one of the above fields and two years of social work or counseling experience; or graduation from a four-year college/university and four years of experience in counseling or a related human services field providing experience in the techniques of casework, group work, or community organization; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Administering the class - varying settings specialized programs, and job designs at this level allow for flexibility in accepting specialized degrees in the human services area and experience with the client population as required by the specific position.
Supplemental and Contact Information:
The Division of Services for the Deaf and the Hard of Hearing is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages qualified men and women to apply. DSDHH uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified individuals. Hiring salary will be based on relevant qualifications, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position.
· Online applications are only accepted through http://www.osp.state.nc.us/jobs/ and they must be submitted by 5:00 PM on the closing date.
· To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the State of North Carolina application under "Work Experience". Any information omitted cannot be considered for qualifying credit.
· Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application and reference to “see resume” in application fields will result in an incomplete application.
- Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must attach a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with your application.
- During the online application process if additional documentation is required, attach the documentation at the bottom of Step 4 in the application process.
- Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
- RIF candidates must attach their notification letter. Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference should submit a copy of Form DD-214.
- DHHS selects applicants based on job related knowledge, skills, & abilities without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or political influence.
- Drug testing is required for a direct care position.
- Link On How To Create Your Application Before Applying For A Job
2301 Mail Service Center
Raleigh , NC 27699-2301
North Carolina Office of State Human Resources - 22 months ago