Responsible for management and administration of all phases of a varsity intercollegiate Division I baseball program, within the guidelines, rules and regulations of Bucknell University, the NCAA, and the Patriot League.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Schedule and conduct regular practice sessions (traditional & non-traditional seasons). Coach the team during scheduled events. Determine and implement the strategies necessary to motivate the team to maximum levels of individual and team performance.
2. Conduct coaches preparation meetings and coordinate teaching procedures for members of coaching staff.
3. Develop a comprehensive and functional knowledge of the sport actively seeking new methods and strategies.
4. Be responsible for the search, selection and training of qualified assistant coaches with the approval of the Director of Athletics, in accordance with all proper University regulations.
5. Direct and manage assistant coaches; delegating and prioritizing administrative responsibilities, as appropriate. Be responsible for annual performance evaluations for any and all staff reporting to head coach
6. Maintain continuing and thorough familiarity with all applicable NCAA rules and the rules and regulations of Bucknell University, and be responsible for compliance with all NCAA rules.
7. Present annual budget requirements to the Director of Athletics and be accountable for expense control compliance and administration of the sport's budget.
8. Work with proper departmental personnel in regard to all arrangements for team travel, practice and competition.
9. Scout and recruit quality student-athletes and coordinate all recruiting activities with appropriate athletics administration. Develop a working relationship with the faculty and University staff to assist in the recruiting process.
10. Demonstrate an active interest in the academic progress of student-athletes. Work closely with all appropriate Departmental personnel to assure academic success of student-athletes.
11. Provide individual counseling to student-athletes when appropriate and direct the student-athlete to professional staff when needed.
12. Establish and ensure communication and enforcement of rules and regulations regarding student-athlete conduct, appearance and behavior.
13. Assist in enforcement of Departmental policies on study programs and require class attendance and completion of work missed due to intercollegiate competition.
14. Demonstrate support for all other sports programs, intramural programs, and other functions of the University and the Department.
15. Participate in fundraising activities as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
17. Work collaboratively with all support offices both in the Department and on Campus, i.e. Sports Information, Athletic Training, Admissions.
18. Teach in Department wellness program as assigned.
19. Be responsible for all travel arrangements for team; including insuring safe transportation to the contest site and back to campus.
20. Maintain current CPR and First Aid certifications.
1.Required qualifications include a bachelor's degree and at least five (5) years of successful collegiate level coaching experience.
2.Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and student-athletes having a range of backgrounds, interests, and perspectives.
Proven integrity, leadership, and a thorough knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations is essential. Candidate should possess a strong commitment and ability to motivate, teach, counsel, and recruit academically qualified student-athletes. Understanding of the role of intercollegiate athletics and recreation at a highly selective comprehensive university. Organization, administrative communications and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated public relations and fundraising abilities. Sound fiscal and operations management skills.
National Collegiate Athletic Association - 2 years ago