The Boston College Libraries seek an innovative and collaborative Head Librarian for the Social Work Library. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Instruction, Access and User Engagement, the Head Librarian is responsible for the overall planning, development, implementation and management of library services and collections at one of the top schools of social work in the nation. The Head Librarian must be a hands-on leader, enthusiastically participating in the day to day work while also inspiring staff and users to seek creative library solutions that address the changing demands of the Graduate School of Social Work. The Head Librarian must anticipate needs as yet unknown and take risks in order to reinvent the service model, as necessary.
- Manages overall SWL operations and facilities and represents SWL in meetings and events
- Oversees and participates in provision of instruction, reference and circulation services
- Develops collection including acquisition, weeding, and budget allocation
- Trains, manages, and supervises support and professional staff
- Plans, prepares and implements outreach and marketing efforts both in print and online
- Assesses library services and collections
- Serves on University Libraries and GSSW committees and task forces and other collaborative groups
- Monitors SWL facilities to effect timely maintenance and improvements to the facility
- MLS from an ALA accredited school
- Minimum 7 years of post-MLS experience
- Undergraduate major or graduate degree in the social sciences preferred
- Minimum 3 years of managerial experience preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience developing and managing collections
- Experience in creating and providing library services and instruction
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Boston College - 18 months ago