Scope of Responsibilities
Works under the direction of the Athletic Director and building principal with the sub-varsity teams towards the program.
1. Develop a program philosophy that is shared and communicated with all stakeholders.
2. Follow proper procedures for purchasing equipment and supplies.
3. Supervise sub-varsity coaches within the program.
4. Coordinate team player tryouts and selection.
5. Attend all athletic departmental meetings.
6. Collaborate with AD on program practices, games, and events.
7. Cooperate with AD and school staff as well as fellow coaches.
8. Participate in pre-season parent meetings and post-season awards programs.
9. Develop and provide training rules to AD.
10. Responsible for positive public relations (i.e. reporting scores, media interactions, parents, banquets, athletic boosters, website, etc.)
11. Continue to cultivate vertical alignment with middle school to high school programs.
12. Provide proper game and practice supervision.
13. Work closely with AD in recommending league policy and procedure changes.
14. Follow due process guidelines when disciplining athletes.
15. Conduct well organized practices.
16. Develop well organized practice plan by collaborating with fellow coaches.
17. Derive from the practice plan a well organized practice schedule to be distributed to athletes, parents, and athletic office.
18. Follow injury protocol.
19. Develop a team that appropriately displays the skills of the athletes.
20. Responsible for developing or adhering to a sound system of equipment accountability, including inventory, repair and replacement.
21. Well versed and knowledgeable in the sport.
22. Must follow KPS Athletic Code of Conduct and MHSAA policies and regulations.
23. Meet all deadlines for paperwork (i.e. rosters, physicals, officials ratings, etc.)
24. Exhibit enthusiasm towards athletes, and display respect for entire program (i.e. officials, opponents, parents, schools, property, equipment, etc.)
25. Dress appropriately for games, practices, and other school/athletic functions.
26. Act as a role model, display respect, and model leadership skills.
27. Foster school spirit by promoting other sports, clubs, and co-curricular activities.
28. Maintain fair, consistent, understanding and tolerant relationships with athletes.
29. Maintain composure and conduct during practice and games.
30. All other duties assigned.
1. Two (2) years successful coaching experience as head coach or assistant in a Class A or B high school (per MHSAA enrollment guidelines) or an equivalent experience.
2. Completion of the Coaches Advancement Program (CAP) Level 1 and 2 for Athletic Coaches from the MHSAA, or agreement to complete these modules before the start of the second season of coaching.
3. Current first aid and CPR training
1. Valid Michigan teaching certificate with minimum of two years successful experience.
2. Previous demonstrated ability to motivate students in a positive manner in the sport being coached.
3. Training in basic first aid.
4. Previous demonstrated ability to plan and organize effectively, teach the fundamentals and techniques associated with the sport, and produce teams that are competitive and show evidence of being well coached.
5. Prior demonstrated ability to provide positive leadership for coaches and athletes and to serve as a positive role model in all aspects of the coaching profession.
6. Experience in a multi-cultural urban school district.
7. Successful prior participation in the sport at either the high school, college or professional level.
8. Previous demonstrated ability to produce winning teams on a consistent basis.
Kalamazoo Public Schools - 14 months ago