Want to join the high-energy, passionate staff of a nationally competitive athletics department? This could be your opportunity of a lifetime!
The Ashford University Athletics Department is seeking an individual to help lead athletic teams to success both athletically and academically. This individual will join a group of passionate and inspired coaches who are committed to the NAIA’s character-driven athletics. The head coach will assist in promoting the core values of sportsmanship, servant leadership, integrity, respect, and responsibility, as well as develop and nurture skills to build a culture of success at the conference and national levels.
The Head Coach will provide dynamic leadership in building a high-quality athletic program to augment the growth and vitality of the institution. Direct and coordinate all activities associated with specific program. Develop a strong association with local coaches. Recruitment of student-athletes. Recruitment, eligibility, and retention of student-athletes is the backbone of the program.
Essential Job Duties:
• Is responsible for staying within the boundaries of both scholarship and operating budget.
• Has full responsibility for the overall supervision of the program, potentially including junior varsity team.
• Is in charge of assigning all duties of assistant coaches working under his/her supervision.
• Is responsible for organizing and developing the instruction and teaching aspects of practices.
• Is responsible for the general upkeep and protection of the equipment for the specific program.
• Is directly responsible for a complete inventory of the equipment used for the sport; to be made at the end of each season.
• Is responsible for keeping records as requested by Athletic Administration
• Has a shared responsibility for striving to build good sportsmanship and developing good public relations in school and community.
• Responsible for scheduling of all contests.
• Works in cooperation with the Sports Information Director to promote the sport. This would include prompt and accurate score reporting to the local media. All results of home and away games must be reported to the media and to the SID immediately following the contests.
• Makes financial reports of all trips where money has been advanced and keeps accurate records when expenses are to be repaid. Reports need to be turned in to Athletic Department within 24 hours of returning from trip.
• Keeps abreast of new developments, innovative ideas and techniques by attendance at clinics, workshops and reading in the field.
• Enforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times, and establishes and oversees penalties for breach of the standards by individual athletes. Maintains discipline of team members both on and off the court, appropriate to the general philosophy of the institution and the Athletic Department.
• Thoroughly explain eligibility requirements to all squad members. Don’t assume the athlete knows the rules, consequences, procedures or resources. Due process must be utilized. Eligibility of student athletes must be determined as soon as possible.
• Is responsible for justifying the departure time for trips that involve loss of school time; and for seeing that faculty is given adequate notice.
• Works with the Athletic Trainer for prevention and treatment of athletic injuries. All athletes must have physical exams before the first day of workouts.
• Must support existing academic policies and take responsibility to see that they are enforced
• Attend all staff meetings.
• Develop a thorough understanding of NAIA eligibility rules.
• Maintains professionalism in all manners, specifically in regard to relationships with students and student-athletes.
• Assist in other duties as assigned by the Athletics Office.
• Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
• Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
• Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
• Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
• Leading Change: This competency serves as the foundation of the Leadership competency model as it aligns the behaviors and characteristic of the individuals with the organization’s mission and core values. Inherent in this competency is the individual’s ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve organizational framework; to create a work environment that encourages innovation; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity.
• Leading People: This competency involves the ability to maximize human capital by fostering an environment that encompasses the organization’s culture and execute the mission, goals and core values.
• Business Acumen: This competency involves the ability to understand and administer business information cross departmentally in a manner that inspires confidence, instills trust and accomplishes the organization’s goals.
• Building Communication: This leadership competency encompasses written and verbal communications of facts and ideas as well as developing a professional network inside and outside the organization.
• Driving Results: This competency stresses accountability and continuous improvement through decision making, execution and producing results.
• Valid Driver’s License required- partial driving is required for the position.
• Ability to represent the educational goals and philosophy of Ashford to alumni, coaches and prospective student athletes.
• Head Coach Level II – (2-5+ years experience) successful experience coaching at the collegiate level. Significant recruiting experience, may involve “other” duty within athletic department, such as facilities coordination, assistant coach for another program or head coach of two sports. May involve multi-year contractual agreement.
• Master’s Degree preferred, Bachelor’s Degree required.
Physical Requirements :
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually moderate to loud .
Note : This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history, professional reference checks and public social media postings; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended. As an employer, we participate in E-Verify. To learn
more please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Notice to Prospective Employees
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security
Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the “Clery Act”), prospective employees
are entitled to request and receive a copy of Ashford University Annual
Campus Security Report. The Report can be accessed at Campus Security & Fire Safety Report . The report includes certain campus safety policies and statistics
on reportable crimes and incidents that occurred on campus, in certain
off-campus buildings, and on public property immediately adjacent to campus or
accessible from campus for three previous years. The policies include
campus security policies, crime prevention, and alcohol and drug use, and
sexual assault, among others. To obtain a paper copy of the report,
please contact HumanResources@bpiedu.com .
Wait, there’s more… For more up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @AshfordUCareers
Ashford University - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...