Secure EMD Serono’s long term success by identifying the best external growth opportunities and emerging competitive threats.
Coordinate and drive the search and evaluation process to identify pre-clinical and clinical stage licensing opportunities and research collaborations across all therapeutic areas that are in line with the EMD Serono strategic plan.
Ensure that key risks and opportunities are identified, professionally evaluated and presented in an unbiased way across all therapeutic areas to senior management for licensing decisions.
Enhance EMD Serono’s reputation in the Biopharmaceutical industry and leverage broad industry network to secure the identification of trends and opportunities for EMD Serono.
Participate in the development of the EMD Serono strategy by providing input from the external drug development environment across all therapeutic areas of EMD Serono and potential areas of extension.
- PEC members, Franchise leaders, all TIPs heads, Clinical Development, Research, Regulatory, Medical, Intellectual Property, Legal, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Market Research, New Product and Portfolio Planning, Finance, Global BD colleagues.
- Peers in large pharma companies, CEOs / COOs, CBOs of smaller companies, KTL in all therapeutic areas that are in line with the EMD Serono strategic plan, External advisors
- Ensure EMD Serono’s brand image in the industry facilitates deal making – Develop and maintain a strong and high quality network
- Lead proactive efforts to identify external opportunities which fill the pre-clinical, clinical and market needs set by all franchises
- Coordination of cross-functional teams for scientific due diligences
- Ensure opportunities are evaluated with high standards to ensure consistency for internal/external projects, align with Portfolio Management
- Lead all collaboration proposals and product evaluations.
- Receive all unsolicited offers for externally offered product licenses.
- Work in close collaboration with Research, Development, Commercial, Marketing, BD and M&A on the evaluation of all external licensing opportunities.
- Continuously monitoring the external business environment to maintain a knowledge base of licensing transactions and other company activities.
- Identify new areas of innovation and growth opportunities that may be related to EMD Serono’s core therapeutic areas, coordinates annual reviews of external environment
- Responsible for the tracking of opportunities and projects across ESL and BD via database applications
- Optimize the processes in Search & Evaluation to ensure quick decision making and reputation building externally and internally
- Promotes EMD Serono as the partner of choice for product development at business partnering meetings and maintains a strong network in the scientific community through participation in medical congresses
- Coach and develop skills of team members and set HR goals and priorities including Talent management and succession planning
Normal and routine office duties
Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 40% of time
EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- Advanced degree in life sciences
- Profound knowledge of EMD Serono’s core therapeutic areas in either the research, clinical, regulatory or development setting
- Fluency in English (both verbal and written) is essential, knowledge of German or French is an asset.
- Outstanding written and verbal presentation skills are required. Ability to articulate and formulate decisions and actions in clear business language
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- 10+ years industry experience with between 5 + years in the Business Development function
- Demonstrated team leadership experience.
- Ability to multitask, strong analytical capabilities, strong interpersonal skills,
- Previous work in the scientific evaluation of drugs in development
- Outstanding time management, and demonstrated delivery of continued high quality work in a changing environment
- Strong background in biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical drug development.
- Strong skills at presenting findings and recommendations to senior management.
- Mature personality with the standing to be the voice of the partner within EMD Serono and with the standing to be the voice of EMD Serono in discussions with the partner.
- Established network of contacts in key academic institutions, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced setting; enthusiastic about the potential strategic options; well-grounded in pragmatic approaches to structuring options available.
- Experience working in the context of a large, complex, global organization where working across boundaries and leading through influence are keys to success
- Global perspective. Multi-cultural background preferred.
- Strong coaching, influencing and active listening skills
EMD Serono - 9 months ago