The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Head of Outreach for its Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) Division. The successful candidate will develop and manage strategies to communicate IFPRI’s research and activities to external audiences via the following channels/tools: media, seminars/events, social media, stakeholder outreach, web/blogging, and videography, and will also provide supervision and leadership to Outreach Unit staff. This position is a one-year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment based at IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington, DC.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Providing strategic guidance on and overseeing the management of the following outreach channels/tools: media, seminars/events, social media, stakeholder outreach, the main institutional website (ifpri.org; Drupal), various microsites (WordPress), blogging, and videos.
• Supervising, mentoring, and providing leadership to Outreach Unit staff.
• Developing and executing multimedia communications campaigns
• Providing oversight and guidance on the 2014 rebuild of ifpri.org, based on the recently completed strategic planning framework.
• Overseeing the development and maintenance of content for IFPRI’s web products.
• Ensuring coverage of IFPRI research in both developed and developing country media outlets.
• Keeping abreast of trends/activities in research communications and international development.
• Working closely with the other units within the CKM Division to integrate workflows and disseminate IFPRI’s research outputs.
• Working collaboratively with the Institute’s research divisions, regional offices, and Director General’s Office.
• Identifying and assessing new communications technologies.
• Developing an annual work plan and budget.
• With the Division Director, overseeing the collection and analysis of institutional web, social media, events, and other statistics.
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Information Science, or related field—or equivalent.
• 8+ years’ media/journalism experience, with 5 years in a research setting.
• 5+ years web management experience, preferably in an international organization.
• Working knowledge of and contact base within media, research, and stakeholder communities in developing and developed countries.
• Excellent written and verbal English-language skills, including blogging experience.
• Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks.
• Demonstrated experience managing large, complex projects.
• Demonstrated experience managing and leading 10 or more staff.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate/interact professionally with a multicultural diverse group of employees/teams/colleagues, across all staff and management levels.
• Familiarity with Drupal and/or Wordpress platforms.
• Knowledge of international development and /or international experience, especially in Asia, Africa, or Latin America.
• Experience in metrics/measurement.
• Fluency in more than one language.