Reporting to the Chief Content Officer, the Head of Web and Digital Platforms serves as the museum's lead strategist and project manager for all public-facing web and digital platforms, including websites, mobile sites, apps, and in-gallery interfaces. This position oversees the information architecture, development, and routine maintenance of these platforms; investigates and recommends new technologies; manages cross-functional project teams that include both SFMOMA staff and outside vendors; conceptualizes front-end user interfaces appropriate to the intended audience and visitor experience goals; and ensures a seamless, engaging, and user-friendly experience. The Head of Web and Digital Platforms oversees a small in-house production team, collaborates closely with designers and content producers in the department, and works with diverse constituencies around the museum in order to deliver digital experiences that support the museum's larger mission. This position will spearhead the relaunch of sfmoma.org and related platforms as the museum undergoes significant expansion, and be responsible for the selection and implementation of a new, multi-platform content management system to populate our digital interfaces.
Applicants will be asked to provide a portfolio of sample websites, mobile sites, apps, etc. with a description of their roles and contributions vis-à-vis the projects.
- Lead the development and implementation of the museum's portfolio of web and digital platforms, working in close collaboration with museum colleagues in Content Strategy and Digital Engagement, IT, External Affairs, Curatorial, and Education
- Conceptualize new web/digital initiatives, make strategic recommendations, and develop appropriate plans, specifications, budgets, and metrics for success
- Determine optimal data/content configuration for dissemination to multiple SFMOMA platforms via the content management system as well as aggregation by external sites and apps
- Act as primary liaison with SFMOMA staff and outside contractors on all issues pertaining to public-facing web platforms
- Manage workflows, deadlines, and budgets for multiple, simultaneous projects
- Monitor, review, prioritize, and schedule relevant work requests and production issues to ensure timely deliveries and resolutions
- Test and evaluate projects based on quantitative criteria (user surveys, usability studies, usage metrics, etc.)
- Establish and enforce standards, systems, and procedures for websites, apps, and other digital platforms
- Negotiate contracts and manage relationships with outside vendors, ensuring timely delivery within resource constraints
- Manage departmental budget and in-kind software and services donations
- Hire and oversee external UX consultants to conduct user research and testing activities
- In coordination with the IT department and external vendors, manage the back-end systems of websites and digital platforms, including content management systems, databases, APIs, and search engines
- Coordinate with various departments on the integration of the museum's public-facing platforms with enterprise systems, including but not limited to the customer relationship management system, ticketing system, media library, collections management system, and ecommerce system
- Consult with museum departments on best practices for HTML email production
- Advise on customized reports and traffic projections for External Affairs and other museum departments
- Present digital initiatives as needed to Trustees, donors, senior leadership, and other museum staff
- Work closely with SFMOMA's Development team to develop proposals for potential public and private funding of digital initiatives; contribute to grant writing as needed
Education and Training: B.A. or B.S. from an accredited four-year institution required. Advanced degree with concentration in information systems, computer science, digital media or related field preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Proven competence as project manager, team leader, and team mentor with ability to set priorities, anticipate demands, coordinate stringent deadlines, and deliver projects on-time and on budget. Proven understanding of software development lifecycles, cross-platform development and deployment, web content management, and project management techniques. Ability to exercise independent judgment and think creatively in order to formulate ideas, write detailed project specifications, lead vendor selection processes, manage project plans, gather relevant content, and critically evaluate the success of projects. Familiar with the Agile software development framework and tools used to support Agile teams (Pivotal Tracker, JIRA, Confluence, etc.). Database familiarity (MySQL, or SQL Server) a plus. Google Analytics knowledge is highly desired. Knowledgeable about user-centered design principles, usability testing, and information design. Mature organizational skills and ability to collaborate successfully within large cross-functional project teams.
Physical Demands: Must be able to visually inspect work and be able to generate own work on computer.
Special Environmental Factors: Close office setting.
POSITION: Head of Web and Digital Platforms
DEPARTMENT: Content Strategy and Digital Engagement
SUPERVISOR: Chief Content Officer
SCHEDULE: Full-time, 35 hours/week
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art encourages people of color, residents of SOMA, and other San Francisco residents to apply. The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
SFMOMA - 18 months ago