Under general supervision, the Health and Safety Specialist is responsible for assisting and supporting the Director
Health, Safety and Environmental in all facets of health and safety program implementation. This includes
implementation of health and safety systems, policies and procedures; providing training, guidance and support for
those programs; and assistance with workers’ compensation management. Ensures compliance with government
regulations and internal company guidance standards and assists the plants and division with maintenance of health
and safety records and statistics.
. Health, Safety and Environmental Specialist I
. Health, Safety and Environmental Specialist II
Essential Job Functions
1. Controls health and safety related losses by assisting in the implementation of loss prevention programs
designed to minimize the number and severity of workplace incidents and injuries.
2. Ensures that health and safety measures are implemented and maintained throughout the Isomedix Facilities
ensuring compliance with applicable regulations.
3. Coordinates with the Isomedix HSE Management, HSE staff, and Facility Managers to ensure that health,
safety, OSHA training, workers’ compensation and related policies, procedures and programs are enforced by
providing proactive training, counseling and advice on health and safety issues.
4. Conducts inspections in accordance with established policies, procedures, regulations, and standards and
provides on-going management and employee training to identify, correct, verify and enforce standards that
increase safety and minimize the impact on functional integrity, intended purpose, or operational efficiency.
5. Participates in formal and informal inspections, ensuring effective follow-up for potential safety hazards or
cited violations by ensuring corrective action is implemented in accordance with organizational or regulatory
standards and prepares and submits required reports.
6. Participates in the insurance program processes for effective workers’ compensation program management,
including input to return to work and restricted work activities.
7. Ensures safety related policies and procedures are adhered to by investigating incidents and auditing work
8. Maintains Health & Safety statistics for the facilities for which they are responsible and prepares related reports.
9. Maintains professional skills, knowledge and abilities by attending educational workshops, reviewing
professional publications and participating in professional societies.
10. Contributes to team effort by performing to the guidelines outlined in the STERIS Code of Business Conduct,
and other directives; supports the directives and decisions of higher level management and accomplishes other
duties as assigned.
11. Under the guidance of Isomedix HSE Management, develops industrial hygiene sampling plans and performs
monitoring according to accepted practice.
12. Under guidance of Isomedix HSE Management, employs the hierarchy of controls to help ensure control of
workplace hazards. This includes performing hazard assessments, selecting Personal Protective Equipment,
provision of training regarding the PPE and follow up monitoring to determine PPE effectiveness and
conditions of use as required by safety guidelines and regulations.
13. Communicates in an effective manner by utilizing accepted business practices in a courteous and professional
manner providing timely and accurate responses and service-oriented offers of assistance.
14. Protects company confidential information by properly storing, retrieving and disseminating such information
only to those authorized.
15. Supports the Isomedix business imperatives of Growth, Operational Excellence, Leadership Excellence and
Customer Focus, by acting with integrity, treating everyone with mutual respect, exhibiting a genuine
commitment to the success of all employees, and delivering satisfaction to our Customers through teamwork,
innovation and continuous improvement; this will be accomplished while acting safely and is defined as "The
16. Exhibits a commitment to the Isomedix shared values of Customer Satisfaction and Continuous Improvement
through ensuring defect-free workmanship, assisting others to meet the Customer’s needs, searching for
efficient and effective ways to reduce waste, being active and accountable for Customer satisfaction, and
satisfying the Customer’s needs with a sense of urgency.
Position requires sitting, standing and working in an office environment. Nature of work requires depth perception,
near- and far-sighted vision, normal color distinction and normal finger dexterity. Work environment requires close
proximity to contained controlled ionizing radiation and/or controlled and contained toxic flammable gas (e.g.,
ethylene oxide) and other treatment/process chemicals of which further information is available through the
facility’s Hazardous Communication Standard (Right to Know). Work environment has potential for exposure to
sub-protection levels of noise, heat and humidity. Hours of work exceed normal business hours, with occasional
work performed during the 2nd or 3rd shifts. This position will require use of personal protection items as needed and
will require routine day and overnight trips (1-3 nights) and infrequent extended overnight trips (5-7 nights).
Bachelor Degree or an equivalent amount of education and experience preferred.
Experience Requirements (Skills, Knowledge and Abilities)
1. A minimum of three to five (3-5) years of plant level experience in a manufacturing/distribution environment
(union and/or non-union).
2. Demonstrated experience in dealing with and applying OSHA, Workers’ Compensation, and related regulations
with regard to occupational, chemical, industrial hygiene and mechanical safety.
3. Experience in delivering training programs.
4. Ability to effectively read, write and verbally communicate in English.
5. Requires ability to work independently under general guidelines and supervision.
6. Effective interpersonal skills as demonstrated through prior experience.
7. Requires computer skills and word processing, spreadsheet and software capabilities, minimum of Level 3 math
skills (ratios, proportions, basic algebra) to determine organizational, Customer and regulatory problems and
formulate corrective action plans.
8. Ability to adapt to changing duties and responsibilities.
9. Ability to influence people in the opinions, attitude or judgments; to generalize, evaluate and make decisions in
10. Requires normal hearing range sufficient to hear alarms, bells, horns, etc.
11. Infrequent lifting and carrying of materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
Indirect: One to two (1-2)
Exemption Status: Exempt
Nature of Problem Solving
Analytical in nature, able to review situations from various perspectives with an emphasis on providing the best
STERIS employee and Company Customer service in the most cost effective and efficient way, in consultation with
the Isomedix Health and Safety/Environmental Compliance Manager. Specifically, anticipating issues and
establishing strategies to mitigate problems presented by Workers’ Compensation, OSHA and other health and
safety related regulatory groups.
Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Within established guidelines, resolves issues related to heath and safety issues.
Empowerment and Decision Making Environment
Participates in the development of annual budget and maintains processes within budget constraints. This position is
responsible for teaming with Operations personnel to create solutions that meet business needs as well as comply
with regulations, policies, and internal procedures. This position has authority to act promptly and effectively in
mitigating potential loss sustaining activities or circumstances.
Cost and Operating Expenses: $100,000
Total number of employees supervised (direct and indirect): Up to two (2)
Join STERIS in its vision to see the world free from
Infection and Contamination as a
Health, Safety & Environment Specialist
STERIS is a $1B+, publicly traded (NYSE) organization of over 5000 employees and is dedicated to providing innovative infection prevention, decontamination, and health science technologies, products and services. STERIS Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
STERIS Corporation complies with all obligations with respect to online application systems under guidelines provided by the US Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. If you are a disabled person who requires reasonable accommodation to complete an online application, please contact the STERIS Human Resources Department by phone at 909-390-9942, extension 48011 for assistance.
STERIS Corporation (STERIS), together with its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, and markets infection prevention, contamination...