Health, Safety & Environment Specialist
Scope of Position
The HSE Specialist reports directly to the Director, HSE, and has a dotted line to the General Manager and Plant Managers (Dorchester & Allendale) and under general direction facilitates and coordinates plant environmental, industrial hygiene, and safety programs and provides guidance to the plant staffs to ensure compliance with the all environmental, industrial hygiene, and safety regulatory requirements. Key competencies of this position are technical expertise, planning and organization ability, problems solving and initiative.
Reports to: Director, HSE
Division/Department: Operations and Maintenance
Location: Dorchester, SC
Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation. Occasional overnight travel (up to 25%) by land and/or air. Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers and power plant setting)
· Coordinates plant environmental programs as assigned, and provides guidance and training to the plant staff to ensure compliance with the environmental, safety and industrial hygiene regulatory requirements.
· Provide day-to-day technical and regulatory support to the plants with support, as needed, from the appropriate program area sections in Environmental Services and Human Resources. Maintains a working knowledge of environmental regulatory requirements applicable to the power plants.
· Coordinates regulatory reporting to environmental, safety, and industrial hygiene agencies, ensures regulatory notifications are made as required by environmental, safety, and industrial hygiene regulations for releases and upset conditions and serves as a focal point for regulatory agencies.
· Monitors compliance with plant permits, procedures, and work practices, related to permits and other regulatory programs and monitors proposed modifications to plant to assure appropriate permits and other requirements are considered in planning.
· Coordinates and/or provides required and appropriate environmental, safety, and industrial hygiene training of employees.
· Lead the safety committee in establishing and creating a zero accident and injury culture for all team members.
· Assure that the processes are in place to evaluate and conduct job hazard analysis, near miss, and incident/injury, or illness investigations to discover root causes and develop corrective actions to prevent reoccurrences.
· Participates in planning and implementing community based and other civic programs involving environmental matters.
· Teaches and promotes safe work practices and stimulates interest in safety programs
· Lead root cause mapping processes and identify solutions to prevent recurrence of accidents or non-compliance incidents.
· Respond to Plant Emergencies in accordance with the Emergency Response Plan.
· Attend and or hold morning meetings, monthly meetings and quarterly meetings.
· Attend training, implement and pursue personal development goals.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Valid Driver’s License
· Proven planning and organization ability.
· The ability to solve problems and take the initiative to identify and improve environmental related programs.
· The ability to manage multiple projects.
· Working knowledge of OSHA, EPA, SCDHEC, and other government regulations that apply to plant and employee health and safety and environmental compliance.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Knowledge of computer skills, MS office to include: word processing, spreadsheet, power point presentations, and database management
· Highly motivated and self-directed
· Proficiency In Air, storm water, waste water, and solid waste regulations
· Working knowledge of CEMS and associated equipment, hardware, software, QA/QC, standard operating practices, daily checks, calibrations, test procedures as part of duties inorder to perform quarterly, yearly audits along with the ability to complete the required paperwork in order to ensure complete compliance with applicable regulations.
· Bachelor Degree Science, Engineering, or related field.
· Minimum of four (4) years of environmental experience, or equivalent.
· Thorough understanding of power plant environmental, health, and safety issues.
EDF Renewable Energy - 2 years ago