Health Communications Associate
Position ID: FY2013.USBHET.HlthCommAssoc
Hours: Full-time; 40 hours per week
Location: Rockville, Maryland
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission ( http://www.urc-chs.com/ ).
Division & Project Overview
Founded in 1968, the Center for Human Services (CHS) is the nonprofit 501-(c)-3 affiliate of the Maryland-based University Research Co., LLC (URC), and a leader in public health consulting. URC and CHS work spans over 30 countries around the globe, including offices in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Health Communications Associate position provides expertise in the conceptualization, planning, and implementation of strategic health communications for a well established Federal client. In a part-time capacity, this mid-level professional will primarily provide multi-faceted support for a major Federal contract to enhance underage drinking (UAD) prevention and awareness efforts in communities throughout the United States and its Territories.
The Health Communications Associate must demonstrate flexibility with changing project needs. A formal background or relevant work experience in health communication programs is therefore a must to contribute to the team’s objective for creating population-wide behavior change. In this role, the Health Communications Associate is primarily responsible for the application of a variety of health communication principles in the execution of Project tasks and activities, including but not limited to strategic design, development and pretesting of messages and materials, implementation and monitoring, as well as evaluation.
Reporting to the Deputy Project Director, the Health Communications Associate will be responsible for the following:
- Contribute to the development of UAD prevention print- and Web-based materials, required reports, special projects, and training programs.
- Create content development plans and work with key staff to implement strategies for promoting print- and Web-based UAD prevention products.
- Coordinate with Web team to develop new information architecture across contract Web sites, including updating and repurposing content.
- Track and contribute to relevant news on UAD prevention, coordinating with staff to promote contract national prominence and influence.
- Work with key outreach staff to identify and pursue opportunities for external promotion of UAD prevention-related activities and the client as a national leader on preventing underage alcohol use.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of contract’s knowledge base on UAD by analyzing and sharing compelling information on relevant Federal activities that align UADPEI activities with existing initiatives and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Provide quality control (not limited to editing or proofreading) services for health communication products and ensure that Web-based materials are compliant with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Contribute to dissemination of information to special populations and hard-to-reach communities affected by underage alcohol use and key stakeholders through various contract activities, including conferences, meetings, and trainings.
- Assist with carrying out team duties and other assignments, including quick-turnaround assignments for the client, as needed.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in public health or related field with three years of health communications experience.
- At least one year of substance abuse prevention experience.
- Excellent time management, organizational and interpersonal skills with a keen eye for detail, demonstrated writing, and communication skills.
- Excellent demonstrated public speaking, leadership, and teaching capabilities, with ability to make quality, independent decisions and handle confidential information.
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines, with high volume and multiple interruptions.
- Strong knowledge of computer applications including MS Office and online communications and applications.
Desired Experience & Qualifications
- Flexibility in work schedule to meet program needs. Should be innovative and able to lead tasks.
- Familiarity with government contracting environment preferred.
- Requires the ability to work well on a team with diverse populations, and forge relationships with constituencies at the Federal, State, and local levels.
Note: To be considered, the candidate must be eligible to work full-time in the United States for an indefinite period. Relocation assistance for this position cannot be provided.
For immediate consideration, please visit URC’s Career Opportunities page at www.urc-chs.com/careers .
Please cut and paste your cover letter and upload your CV where indicated. Also, please complete your application form and attach a completed USAID Form 1420 Contractor Employee Biographical Data Sheet as well.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.
URC is an E-Verify Employer.
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce.