Work collaboratively with Pharmacy and Case Management departments to provide education, counseling and support for CalOptima members to increase adherence to medications. Responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating medication-related health education interventions in a managed care setting.
- Research and develop educational materials for CalOptima members on medication adherence and other health-related topics.
- Make outbound calls to educate members about the importance of medication adherence and medication therapy management.
- Provide feedback, verbally and in writing to licensed professional staff regarding member needs to promote medication adherence and medication therapy management.
- Promote medication therapy management services and coordinate scheduling between members and licensed professional staff.
- Develop culturally and linguistically appropriate handouts and teaching aids to enhance instruction.
- Review literature and other educational media for advancements and research in the health care field.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Communicate in a clear, concise manner.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with individuals from varying cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Determine appropriate patient follow-up and overall education plan.
- Coordinate health education services to meet member needs.
- Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with all levels of staff, other programs, agencies, and the general public.
- Effectively utilize computer and appropriate software and interact as needed with CalOptima Information Systems.
Experience & Education
- 2-3 years health education experience, preferably in a managed care environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Science or closely related field required.
- Master’s in Public Health or Health Science preferred.
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) is desirable.
- Principles of health education: planning, implementation and evaluation of health education programs.
- Principles of motivational interviewing/client-centered counseling.
- Principles and practices of healthy living, wellness and prevention.
- Principles of learning and presentation styles.
- Appropriate techniques to serve social and ethnic groups.
- Principles of managed health care service delivery.
CalOptima - 22 months ago