Placer County Health and Human Services is a multi-division agency focused in the health and social services fields. Our services are available throughout the county. We provide a unified system of qualify services to safeguard the health and well-being of the people and animals in our communities. To realize our mission, we strive to keep all children, adults, and families healthy, safe, at home, in school or work, out of trouble, and self-sufficient.
This recruitment is to fill a full-time vacancy in the Public Health Division of the Department of Health and Human Services.
To develop and implement educational activities for the public and County public health staff on topics related to specific public health programs.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from professional or supervisory staff.
May exercise technical and functional supervision over technical and clerical staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following
Experience and Training
- Plan, organize and implement educational activities related to specific health programs.
- Represent the Health and Medical Services Department to and advise community organizations about health education topics and techniques.
- Confer with various civic groups and schools to encourage interest and activities that promote education about public health issues; and organize and arrange for discussion groups on health problems.
- Review publications and other educational materials for appropriate use in health education of various groups and populations; maintain and distribute health education materials to public health staff and the general public.
- Interface and coordinate with other public health staff regarding public education techniques and activities.
- Prepare visual aids and display materials.
- Prepare reports and recommendations on community needs and Department program development; and evaluate and report on health education services and programs.
- Identify and implement methods for publicizing public health services through various media.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other County employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Two years of responsible public health information or education experience.
Training: Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public health, nursing, environmental health, social work, psychology, education or a related field.
License or Certificate:
May need to possess a valid driver’s license as required by the position. Proof of adequate vehicle insurance and medical clearance may also be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Principles and practices of public health, especially as related to the functions of official and voluntary organizations at Federal, State and local levels.
- Principles and practices of public health education including an understanding of the theory of human behavior, the process of education, motivation and group work and the relationship of cultural patterns to human behavior.
- Societal structure and organization, including the effects of economic forces.
- Methods and effectiveness of various mass communication media.
- Research methodology and statistical interpretation.
- Principles and practices of work safety, especially as related to communicable diseases.
- Differing cultural, religious, economic and social groups and their relationships to the delivery and acceptance of health care services.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policies and procedures.
- On an intermittent basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently walk, stand, bend, twist and reach while preparing for and conducting educational presentations.
- Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift heavy weight.
- Prepare, coordinate and implement effective educational work plans.
- Prepare and/or effectively present articles, brochures, speeches and workshops.
- Arrange and conduct public meetings.
- Work with various cultural and ethnic groups in a tactful and effective manner.
- Obtain information through interviews; and deal fairly and courteously with the public.
- Analyze situations quickly and objectively and determine course of action.
- Work unusual or prolonged work schedules particularly as related to evening or week-end presentations.
- Use a computer, calculator, typewriter, telephone, general office machines, postage meter and photocopy machine.
- Type at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
Placer County - 7 months ago
copy to clipboard