GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation.
As a Heat Transfer Specialist, you will work with a team of researchers to develop new next-generation cooling technologies for new and existing products, including heavy duty gas turbines and aircraft engines.
You will work with a team of researchers to conduct conceptual and detailed design of sophisticated heat transfer test rigs. You will be responsible for assisting with setup and running of heat transfer tests, and assisting in post-processing and interpreting the data. You will also be responsible for setup and maintenance of a 3D Printing facility in support of the laboratory.
- Create and conduct experiments using a variety of measurements tools and experimental techniques in fluid dynamics and thermal sciences (heat and mass transfer), including thermocouples, infrared cameras, particle image velocimetry, thermochromic liquid crystals, hot wire anemometry, and pressure probes.
- Design and procure constant heat flux gages, and other unique heat transfer test equipment.
- Post-process data sets from multiple programs simultaneously
- Assemble complex turbine test rigs, and monitor test conditions during tests
- Maintain calibration of heat transfer instrumentation in laboratory
- Program and operate data acquisition software including Labview and Labwindows
- Complete 3D CAD modeling for mechanical design, from conceptual design through detailed design.
- Establish and maintain 3D printing facility, including ordering material, building parts, and maintaining health of facility.
- Government property tracking for the laboratory
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field of study with 2 years direct experience with flow or thermal experiments
- A demonstrated record of working from "back of the envelope" designs to build quality hardware
- Basic knowledge of flow characterization equipment, heaters, thermocouples, pressure transducers, and data acquisition systems.
- Familiarity with fundamental computer data processing, such as MATLAB.
- Proficiency with computer data graphing packages such as Excel and MATLAB.
- Demonstrated proficiency with 3D CAD, such as SolidWorks, UG, or ProE
- Work during first shift, with the possible requirement to work 2nd or 3rd shift under some situations
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Masters degree in Engineering or Physics
- Mechanical engineering and heat transfer background
- Unigraphics or other 3D CAD expertise
- Real experience designing mechanical hardware
- Real experience working on complex test rigs and acquiring data
- Real experience working with electrical hardware
- Labview and/or Labwindows programming expertise
- Experience in running 3D printers.
- Ability to work with periodic guidance on tasks and innovate
- Specific experience with wind tunnels, cascades, thermocouples, pressure transducers, liquid crystal thermography, infrared thermography, and complex rig assembly
- Rapid acquisition of new skills and technologies, especially when it comes to new measurement techniques, novel rig build-ups, and research-grade instrumentation.
- Certified Six Sigma Green Belt
- Ability to work well with diverse teams, including Ph.D.'s, machinists, and vendors
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong debugging and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks in parallel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This position is eligible for The Employee Referral Program.
Imagine what GE Global Research will make happen next. If you are ready to join us, click on the “Apply to job” button below.
Section 19 Job
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 19 OF THE FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE ACT.
Apply to job
Save to cart
GE Careers - 7 months ago
At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Developing people is how we have succeeded across industries...