Operates heavy equipment or vehicles at the Solid Waste Facility within the guidelines of operating manuals, state laws and regulations, and supervisory instructions. Reports to the Landfill Manager or other designated persons and works with co-workers and the public to provide assistance and support.
PRINICIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates a bulldozer, scrapper, front-end loader (rubber tire and track), gradall, compactor, motor grader, backhoe (rubber tire and track, off-road truck, heavy trucks (with and without air brakes), grinder, commercial vehicles, and other equipment.
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment and performs daily vehicle inspections.
- Assists Heavy Equipment Supervisor in developing and recommending goals and programs for the departmental operations.
- Assists in identifying work duties and assigns crew.
- Trains junior heavy equipment operators in maintaining and inspecting equipment to prolong usefulness.
- Identifies potentially hazardous or unacceptable materials at the landfill and notifies the appropriate site personnel. Assists in the proper removal and disposal of such waste material.
- Maintains landfill in accordance with federal, state, and local rules and regulations.
- Performs manual labor to include such tasks as litter collection, equipment cleaning, and facility maintenance.
- Transports equipment and materials around the facility and off-site as needed.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Serves as a resource to Department personnel.
High School diploma, trade school, truck driving school, or equivalent level of education.
0-4 years in similar position or sufficient experience to perform principal duties and responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of policies and procedures pertaining to landfill operations.
- Considerable knowledge of regulatory requirements as they pertain to waste disposal.
- Familiarity with departmental policies and procedures.
- Proficiency in general grading activities as they pertain to waste placement, compaction and daily cover placement and general storm-water management practices and procedures.
- Mastery of operating various types of heavy equipment and trucks.
- Capable of performing basic mathematical calculations as they pertain to waste placement and grading activities.
- Proficiency in first aid, CPR, and AED.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Decision making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans.
- Possess basic surveying skills including the use of GPS systems.
- Ability to read and write at a minimum of an 8th grade level.
- Possess basic computer skills and knowledge of the operation of common office equipment.
- May supervise and/or train designated subordinate personnel. May oversee and evaluate the work of others and ensure consistency by interpreting policies and procedures.
- Possess a valid state operator/driver’s license for the type vehicle or equipment operated.
- Certifications, licenses and training or ability to obtain within twenty-four (24) months or employment in accordance with the Solid Waste Policy on Training and Continuing Education: CDL Class A license, Certified Landfill Operator (CLO), Waste Acceptance Protocol, Training for Sanitary Landfill Operations Personnel, and Surveying.
Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, lifting of light and heavy objects, using tools and equipment that require a high degree of manual dexterity, and ability to distinguish between shades of colors. Work is performed in outdoors with exposure to noise, chemicals, inclement weather, dirt, grease, dust, and machinery with moving parts requiring the use of protective devices.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
City of Augusta, GA - 23 months ago