Graduation from High school or equivalent, plus (3) years experience in maintenance and/or construction, including (2) years experience in operation of heavy duty equipment.
One (1) year of additional related experience may substitute for (1) year of high school up to a maximum of four (4) years substitution.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Licensed for the operation of commercial vehicles in the state of Texas within ninety (90) days of employment. Ability to produce a good driving record.
- To be considered for employment in this position applicants must comply with Department of Transportation Federal Regulations and the City of Austin Drug Policy.
- Continuous outdoor activity, frequent sitting, standing, walking, squatting, bending, twisting upper body, climbing, exposure to extreme heat, cold, noise, mechanical hazards, fume/odor hazards, toxic waste/material hazards, occasional kneeling, crawling, carrying up to ninety (90) pounds, lifting up to ninety (90) pounds. Indoor activity.
Notes to Applicants
Your resume must be attached to receive a confirmation number.
Monday-Friday 6:30 a.m – 3:30 p.m.
Job Close Date
Departments may close a posting at their discretion
Open Until Filled
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
St. Elmo S/C 4411 B Meinardus Dr. Austin, Texas 78744
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Assist in the operations of various types of equipment including digger trucks, boom trucks, forklifts and wire stringing equipment.
Drives various CDL rated equipment t the job locations to haul equipment and materials. Provides assistance during emergency situations involving flooding and severe weather.Provides assistance to lead operator in digging operations.Provides assistance in radio communication.
Performs preventive vehicle and equipment maintenance to ensure proper operating conditions prior to leaving for the job site (checks oil, water, fuel, tires, hydraulic system, etc., and makes appropriate adjustments) reporting any malfunctions and repair requirements to the supervisor.Performs traffic control set up at the job site to ensure a safe working environment, places and gathers cones, flags, set out traffic signs, etc.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised: None
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the provisions in the Texas Motor Vehicle Code relating to the operation of motorized equipment on public streets and highways.
- Knowledge of the Texas Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices ( TMUTCD ) provisions.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to use a surveyor's level to maintain elevation grades on project sites..
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of light and heavy equipment.
- Ability to use two way radios.
- Ability to train others.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.