$19.62 - $23.54
To maintain roads and bridges in Pitkin County.
Maintain the roads and bridges by performing l abor duties such as digging and cleaning ditches, cleaning and installing culverts, repairing guardrails, flagging and asphalt repair work.
Performs other maintenance duties as needed, including laboring on various crews, cleaning equipment, yard work and office functions.
Plows and sands County roads during winter months.
Trains and instructs new employees as needed.
Adjusts, inspects, cleans and performs minor maintenance on vehicular and non-vehicular equipment.
Cleans and maintains tools; cleans work and shop area.
Performs physically laborious work outdoors.
Logs daily work activities and records information promptly and accurately on the daily activity sheet.
Follows prescribed safety measures and ensures safety of self and fellow employees are adhered to.
Ability to pass a pre-employment physical and drug test.
Drive a dump truck and plow snow, as well as other equipment for asphalt repair work, ditching, culvert repair, grading roads and dust control etc.
Performs all other tasks as assigned.
Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Interacts with the public and employees in a positive manner.
Impact/Scope of Authority:
Receives general supervision from the Road & Bridge Superintendent and the Crew Foreman.
Internal Departmental staff, staff of other departments within the County and City.
External CDOT, Town of Snowmass Village, Basalt, contractors, vendors, utility companies, general public.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Lutes, Rakes, Shovels, Picks, Brooms, Single Axle Dump Trucks, Tandem Axle Dump Trucks, Wheel Loader, Fork Lifts, Snowplows, Jackhammer, Cutting Torch, Power Saw, Chain Saw, Pumps, Asphalt, Sand, Gravel, Mag Chloride, Tack Oil, Diesel Fuel.
Job Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Education/Formal Training and Experiences
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Valid CDL Class B license.
- Acceptable Motor Vehicle Record.
- Flagger Certification (or the ability to obtain one within 6 months).
- Preventative maintenance for County roads, culverts, ditches; department policies and procedures; vehicle, light and heavy equipment.
- Operation of light, medium and heavy equipment used in the maintenance of County infrastructure; use of common hand and power tools. Basic computer skills.
Mental and Physical Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Ability and willingness to perform any and all tasks required to complete work projects, including general laboring.
- Ability to work and be productive without constant supervision.
- Ability to serve as positive role model to other employees.
- Must be able to interact with others (employees and the public) in a positive manner.
- Ability to work snow shifts and other emergency situations during or after normal working hours
- Ability to work safely and set up safe work zones.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing; expressing facts and ideas in a clear, concise manner.
- Ability to multitask and be flexible.
- Ability to learn about occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to read and comprehend county, state and federal regulations; to read and comprehend technical/mechanical manuals.
Adverse weather conditions and traffic are factors in this position.
Most work is performed out of doors, under all weather conditions.
Work involves dealing with citizens who may become upset.
Work load may be heavy.