The Help Desk Specialist’ role is to ensure proper computer operation so that end users can accomplish business tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user help requests. Incident resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level.
- Field incoming help requests from end users via a variety of intakes (phone, walkup, email, etc)
- Provide excellent customer service to all customers
- Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name, department, contact information, and nature of request or incident.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from help desk customers.
- Prioritize and schedule incidents. Escalate incidents (when required) to the appropriately experienced technician.
- Record, track, and document the Incidents and requests in the ticketing tool. Ensure all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution have been captured in the ticket.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
- Performing preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of workstations, printers, and peripherals.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
- Identify and escalate critical incidents
- Participate in a afterhours on-call rotation
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware, including HP/Compaq desktops/laptops.
- Ability to perform basic account management in AD
- Experience with desktop and server operating systems, including Windows XP, 2010, 9.x
- Extensive application support experience with Citrix
- Experience documenting incidents in ticketing software
- Working knowledge of Symantec Ghost.
- Excellent customer services skills on phone and in person.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Must be willing to travel up to 50% to regional locations
- Maintain fax machines, printers, scanners and other networked business machines.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Experience supporting multiple models of Blackberries
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Experience supporting VOIP telecom devices
- Basic knowledge of switches and network devices
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- 2 years of related work experience.
- ITIL foundation certification strongly desired
This position may be subject to background check. An EEO, AA, VEVRAA employer.
Public Consulting Group - 17 months ago