The mission of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Office of Information & Technology (OIT), Service Delivery and Engineering (SDE), and National Service Desk (NSD) is to provide benefits and services to Veterans of the United States. The National Service Desk provides a central point of contact for enterprise-class IT service and support, as well as outage notifications and information dissemination in the VA 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year. The National Service Desk function operates throughout the VA and is a virtual organization with many locations.
National Service Desk Position Information - Help Desk Technician:
The National Service Desk (NSD) Help Desk Technicians field all Help Desk calls from the NSD user base and create the initial record of the request. They resolve all Tier One end-user problems over the phone, escalate all Tier Two and above requests on to the appropriate service group to handle.
Under general supervision, each Help Desk Technician provides technical software, hardware and network problem resolution to computer and email users by performing question/problem diagnosis and guiding users through step-by- step solutions in a call center environment. Help Desk Technicians clearly communicate technical solutions in a user-friendly, professional manner, provide one-on-one end-user training as needed, assist Network Technicians, troubleshoot network printer problems, and pass more complex end-user problems on to Tier Two.
Key duties and responsibilities:
Examples of key duties are interpreted as being descriptive and not restrictive in nature.
• Identifies, diagnoses and resolves Tier One issues for users of the NSD systems and applications, personal computer software and hardware, local network, the Internet, and new computer technology in a call center environment; communicates solutions to end-users.
• Provides one-on-one end-user First Call Resolution over the phone.
• Diagnoses and resolves end-user network or local printer problems, PC hardware problems and mainframe, e-mail, Internet, dial-in, and local-area network access problems.
• Hands on experience with Windows XP, Windows 7, Active Directory and Microsoft Office.
• Knowledge of internal operating system technology, computer operations, hardware, network management software, concepts, and troubleshooting techniques.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Experience and knowledge with a help desk ticketing software- particularly Remedy. Examples of ticketing software systems include BMC Remedy, CA Service Desk Manager, ZenDesk, and Vision Help Desk.
• Minimum 1 to 2 years prior Help Desk or Desktop Support experience.
• Familiarity of ITIL Service Operations
• Incident Reporting
• Experience in multi-operating systems (Windows XP, 2003, 2007, Linux, UNIX, or VMS)
• Experience in Desktop XP, Vista, Windows 2000
• Experience in Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, InfoPath and Outlook
• Associates Degree preferred
• IT related certifications a plus
Current shift: Monday-Friday, 08:00am-05:00pm
Candidates must be flexible with their shift requirements. Work schedules will change periodically.
Coverage: 24 hours per day - 7 days per week - 365 days per year.
Security: This position requires US citizenship, a high risk background investigation, and fingerprint check.
ACET - 17 months ago