Help Desk Technician
The incumbent is an IT Specialist/Technician at the NSD and provides first level IT support for all IT systems and applications, and software that ultimately affect the plans, goals, and effectiveness of VA nationwide. The incumbent responds to, resolves and/or escalates customer requests/incidents for information technology services and/or issues in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
Duties encompass: providing first level (Tier 1) IT support for all IT systems and applications, and software that ultimately affect the plans, goals, and effectiveness of VA nationwide. Tier 1 Support includes resetting passwords for various applications both web-based and non-web-based, and virtually installing/re-installing software and their components. The incumbent responds to, resolves and/or escalates customer requests/incidents for information technology services and/or issues in the most efficient and effective manner possible. Primary responsibility is to handle inbound calls from external and internal VA personnel, contractors or other government agencies. Incumbent serves as a direct point of contact for customers, with the intent of resolving customer issues with a professional organizational image through telephone interaction within the specified service-line agreements timeframe.
Most calls handled at NSD-security are for remote access so candidate should have some network experience and knowledge of pc components and operating systems. If you find anyone that had MAC experience that is a need we have as well.
Under general supervision, each Service Desk Technician provides technical software, hardware and network problem resolution to computer and email users by performing question/problem diagnosis and guiding users through step-by- step solutions in a call center environment. Service Desk Technicians clearly communicate technical solutions in a user-friendly, professional manner, provide one-on-one end-user training as needed, assist Network Technicians, troubleshoot network printer problems, and pass more complex end-user problems on to Tier Two.
The Service Desk Security Center is responsible for the day-to-day management and monitoring of the VA WAN, Internet Gateway services, security incident reporting, as well as antivirus, host based intrusion prevention system (HIPS), network intrusion prevention system (NIPS) and security device support, event monitoring and resolution.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Examples of key duties are interpreted as being descriptive and not restrictive in nature.
- The Security Service Desk Tech serves as the single point of contact for all internal users and business partners to receive support and guidance for Incident Response security related issues. The Security Service Desk Tech facilitates restoration of normal operational service with minimal business impact on the customer within agreed SLA and business priorities. The Security Service Desk Tech scope encompasses providing Tier I network security services and support and to provide network security and defense, analysis and problem resolution on the VA's national IT infrastructure on a 24 x 7 basis. This enterprise IT infrastructure has over 30,000 servers and over 330,000 desktops, and has managed IT assets and data located in all 50 states.
- Uses Remedy or CA Service Desk Manager to manage and track the team's technical work on security incidents, and generate regular reports weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, and quarterly to report on the team's performance.
- Identifies, diagnoses, and resolves Tier One issues for users of the NSD systems and applications, personal computer software and hardware, local network, the Internet and new computer technology in a call center environment; communicates solutions to end-users.
- Provides one-on-one end-user First Call Resolution over the phone.
- Diagnoses and resolves end-user network or local printer problems, PC hardware problems and mainframe, e-mail, Internet, dial-in, and local-area network access problems.
- Hands on experience with Windows XP/W7, Active Directory and Microsoft Office.
- Must have knowledge of internal operating system technology, computer operations, hardware, network management software, concepts and troubleshooting techniques
- Minimum 1 to 2 years prior Help Desk or Desktop support experience.
- Experience and knowledge with a Help Desk Ticketing software is required. Examples of ticketing software systems include BMC Remedy, CA Service Desk Manager, ZenDesk, Vision Help Desk,
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
Familiarity of ITIL Service Operations
Experience in multi operating systems –Windows XP, 2003, 2007, Linux, UNIX, VMS
Experience in Desktop XP, Vista, Windows 2000
Experience in Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, InfoPath and Outlook
Coverage - 24 hours per day – 7 days per week – 365 days per year. Must be flexible with their shift requirements.
All of the shifts are Monday thru Friday
7:00AM – 3:30PM (Qty: 5)
8:00AM – 4:30PM (Qty: 1)
12:30PM – 9:00PM (Qty: 1)
Security – US citizen ship is required. Must be able to pass a background investigation and obtain Public Trust clearance.
**There are no immediate openings for this position. At this time, we are currently reserving resumes for future openings on the National Service Desk contract. Please submit your resume/application for furture Help Desk openings.
ACET - 14 months ago