Provide special education students with appropriate learning activities and experiences that will enable them to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth. Develop student ability level instructional materials through modified curriculum and prepared lesson plans. Conduct work in self-contained, team, departmental or itinerant capacity as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Growth and Development
- Work in conjunction with students, parents and other members of staff to develop IEPs through the ARD Committee process for each student assigned.
- Design, write and use instructional, therapeutic or skill development program for assigned students and ensure written plan is available for review.
- Ensure comprehension of learning styles and student needs are met through creation and implementation of appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials and equipment.
- Collaborate with classroom teacher on student IEP to ensure all modifications are met and help special education students in regular class when appropriate.
- Participate in ARD Committee meetings on an ongoing basis.
- Design instructional activities by using data from students learning styles assessment.
- Ensure IEP guidelines are met when presenting subject matter.
- Use an assortment of media and techniques to meet the needs and capabilities of each student assigned.
- Produce and oversee the teacher aide and volunteer assignments.
- Employ technology practices to strengthen the instructional process.
- Produce formal and informal testing to evaluate student success.
- Oversee or ensure personal care, medical care and feedings of students as stated in IEP.
- Manage and care for all extracurricular duties as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by charter principal.
- Serve as an example for students; support mission of charter.
- Prepare classroom to enhance learning and aid in the physical, social, and emotional development of the students.
- Control student behavior and implement discipline plan. This includes handling crisis situation and physically restraining students as necessary according to IEP.
- Collaborate with the classroom teachers regarding student behavior management programs according to IEP.
- Collaborate with charter and outside resource people regarding education, social, medical and personal needs of student.
- Ensure necessary and reasonable measures are taken to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Provide input on books, equipment and material selection.
- Ensure good communication rapport with parents, students, principals and teachers through conferences.
- Create and maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents and community members.
- Present information accurately through clear communication skills.
- Keep up to date and abide by federal, state and charter policies for special education teachers.
- Enrich job skills through professional development activities.
- Gather, manage and file all reports, records and other documents required.
- Be active in faculty meetings and assist in staff committees as required.
- Other duties as assigned
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. A./ B.S.) from an accredited college or university required. Must be Highly Qualified or eligible, Texas teacher certification in subject area preferred. Spanish speaking, a plus.
Ability to read, analyze, and apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions in written or oral form. Ability to set priorities. Ability to communicate with all levels of personnel, students, and parents.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be competent in Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn and use computer software as necessary. Ability to use basic office equipment.
SAFETY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Every employee of the School has an obligation to know our safety rules and procedures; to teach what they know to others; to recognize unsafe actions and situations; to warn others of unsafe situations; to react to emergency situations and to report hazardous or unsafe practices to those in a position to correct them.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit and use the wrists, hands and/or fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level is low to high and may have frequent interruptions. There may be activity from other employees and students of a distracting nature.
Satisfactory criminal records check, pre-hire and annually thereafter, if applicable. Must be eligible to work in the United States and provide work authorization.
Uplift Education - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard