RECRUITMENT AND EXAMINATION ANNOUNCEMENT
** POSITION SPECIFIC ** ** OPEN RECRUITMENT **
(SKILLED TRADE SPECIALIST SUPERVISOR) (HIGH VOLTAGE) (7132)
SALARY: $51,423- $58,719 CLOSING DATE: January 28, 2013
** ASSIGNED WORK HOURS: 11:30 PM - 8:00 AM (Night Shift) **
DESCRIPTION: This is the supervisory level of work coordinating the skilled trade activities of a Maryland Aviation Administration maintenance program. Employees supervise the maintenance and repair of high voltage electrical systems. Employees oversee maintenance projects through subordinate trades workers, and occasionally outside contractors. Employees may perform the same work along with subordinate staff when required by staffing shortages or other contingencies. Examples of work include but are not limited: managing the skilled trade activities of a facility maintenance program by resolving matters of scheduling, inspection, work order control, budget preparation, and personnel safety and training; establishing formal procedures for meeting emergencies or unusual situations; preparing and maintaining comprehensive work activity reports and related administrative records; developing technical specifications for tools and equipment; assigning work projects, making adjustments in work assignments, and revising work schedules in response to unanticipated or emergency needs; maintaining safe operating practices and enforces same through on-site inspections; informing higher level supervisors of problems or unforeseen situations occurring in the work; attending pre-construction meetings on all construction contracts that affect the facility. Incumbents receive general supervision from a higher level maintenance supervisor or other designated supervisor. This is maintenance work requiring physical exertion performed either outdoors under all weather conditions or inside an MDOT building. This employee is considered an essential employee and is subject to emergency call back procedures, twenty-four (24) hours a day, as may be required in order to maintain continuous operation of a facility. The employee will be required to work rotating shift work, to include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. The current vacancy exists at the Maryland Aviation Administration (MAA) in Anne Arundel County. The eligible list produced from this recruitment will be utilized for this position only.
PREFFERRED QUALIFICATION: The ideal candidate will have professional experience supervising high voltage electricians.
EDUCATION: Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of experience working with high-voltage (600 volts and up) service, switch gear and control wiring or large (30 horsepower or more) motors, compressors and motor circuitry is required. Please note that your application must specify the high voltage job duties performed.
1. Additional work experience performing skilled trades as defined above may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. A certificate from a vocational technical school with a major in one or more of the skilled trades as defined above may be substituted for one year of the required general experience.
Licenses, Registrations and Certificates:
1. Candidates appointed to positions in this classification are assigned duties that require the operation of motor vehicles. Employees are required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland. All applicants must list their license number and expiration date on the application.
2. During the probationary period, employees may be required to obtain and maintain a Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) valid in the State of Maryland, depending on the type of equipment operated.
3. Employees at the Maryland Aviation Administration must have or obtain an Airfield Operators Permit in accordance with the Code of Maryland Regulations 11.03.01.04, Control of Vehicular Traffic on the Air Operations Area, prior to permanent appointment.
4. The employing administration may require employees to satisfy its agency training and certification program requirements to obtain and maintain permanent status in this classification.
V. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Applicants may be subject to a background check, which may impact on employment. A history of arrest or conviction is not an automatic disqualification to employment. Applicants who are considered for work at the Maryland Aviation Administration are subject to an extensive pre-employment security background check as required by the Federal Aviation Administration, Federal Aviation Regulation Part 107.
2. Employees must be willing and available for duty at such hours, day or night, as may be required in order to maintain continuous operation of a facility and are subject to call-in. Employees are required to maintain a reliable communication link (telephone or beeper) for the purpose of emergency call back requirements.
3. Employees that work with or may be exposed to hazardous materials, such as: asbestos, lead-based paint or chromium, may be required to undergo periodic medical testing and may be required to pass hazardous materials training and have the ability to wear a respirator.
4 Applicants may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform maintenance work on high structures and in cramped quarters.
5. Candidates will be subject to pre-employment drug testing in accordance with the Transportation Code of Maryland Regulations 11.02.11, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
6. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with the Transportation Code of Maryland Regulations 11.02.11, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
7. Employees in this classification are considered "Essential Employees" and must sign and agree to all policies and procedures relating to "Essential Employee" status.
TO APPLY: You must complete a MDOT application to be considered for this recruitment. RESUMES CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE MDOT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for. Qualified applicants may be subject to background and reference checks. The examination for this recruitment may be an evaluation and rating of the information you provide on your application. Therefore it is important that you provide complete and accurate information. For an application, please call 410-865-1073.
Mail your application to: Recruitment and Examinations Unit, 7201 Corporate Center Drive, Hanover, MD 21076, or you may apply online at https://jobs.mdot.state.md.us. Your application must received by 1/28/13. Postmarks will not be accepted.
Applications sent without sufficient postage will not be accepted and will be returned. Applications sent through interoffice mail that are not received by the closing date will not be accepted. Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disability will be provided upon request. Please notify in advance. MD Relay Service Number (711). Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
The Maryland Department of Transportation is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees, all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer.
The incumbent in this position may be a member of a covered bargaining unit and, may be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MDOT does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Issue Date: 1/11/13