Skip to Main Content
Current Career Opportunities
Highway Worker I
Wed. 05/02/12 4:30 PM Mountain Time
Print Job Information |
We are seeking candidates to perform a variety of semi-skilled labor involved in the maintenance and construction of roads and bridges. Work involves operating tandem-axle vehicles and highway construction equipment.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties:
- Participate in activities related to the maintenance and construction of roads, bridges, and drainageways by hauling gravel and asphalt, graveling roadways, asphalt removal resurfacing and patching, culvert maintenance and installation, snow and ice control, stockpiling, earthwork, bridge repair and construction, dust abatement, crack sealing, patching and other road surface maintenance activities, roadside mowing, and litter pick-up.
- Operate highway construction equipment including tandem trucks, rollers, compactors, oil distributor, loaders, V plows, sewer jet, bobtails and large loaders, small dozers, small backhoes and roadside mowers.
- Load and unload equipment, supplies and other materials from trucks and other vehicles.
- Direct flow of traffic around construction and/or maintenance projects; erect and remove traffic control devices used during maintenance and/or construction projects.
- Operate welding and patching equipment including jack hammers, hydro-tampers and hand tools including shovels, lutes and rakes.
- Perform minor maintenance of trucks and equipment: check and service equipment for fuel, hydraulic fluids, and oil and water levels; check tires and belts.
- May read surveying grade stakes.
- Maintain a variety of records; complete activity records and reports.
- Perform the full range of upper and lower level highway maintenance duties.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned/required.
- Comply with the Highway dress code.
- Maintain professional conduct at all times with the public and county employees.
- Maintain a safe work environment at all times.
- Experience - One year of experience performing field maintenance work.
- Training - Formal or informal education or training that includes reading and writing at a level adequate to perform the required duties.
- License or Certificate- Candidates must possess a valid Colorado Commercial Driver's License Class B at the time of interview. Candidates selected for interviews will need to provide a current copy of their motor vehicle record. Adams County is required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations to conduct pre-employment drug screens, background checks and motor vehicle record checks. Successful candidates must pass all of the above, including a DOT physical and a criminal background check.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
WORK LOCATION: Public Works Strasburg Service Building, 2550 Strasburg Road, Strasburg, CO, 80136
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach, crawl, twist, climb, and lift 50 pounds; tolerate exposure to noise, outdoors, confining work space, vibration, dust, and mechanical hazards.
- Availability for shift work, on-call, and stand-by call.
- Mandatory overtime 24/7, including all holidays
DAYS/HOURS: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Current Career Opportunities
4430 South Adams County Parkway | Brighton, Colorado 80601 | 303.659.2120 | 800.824.7842
Adams County - 12 months ago
Adams County Winery, which first began operation in 1976, is a small farm winery located in Adams County, just eight miles west of Gettysbur...