Plans, Directs, and Supervises the daily activities of the Laboratory and its personnel to ensure all results and required regulatory standards are met.
REQUIRED LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
1. Communication: Strong written and verbal skills are demonstrated in reports, correspondence and presentations. Ensures staff are kept informed of Medical Center and departmental priorities. Communicates vision statement and medical center strategic priorities and demonstrates commitment toward their achievement.
2. Professional Development: Participates in conferences, workshops, and other professional development activities to maintain licensure and/or remain professionally current with advances in field of expertise.
3. Staff Development: Ensures staff receive mandated in-servicing in Safety, Quality Assurance, Risk Management, Customer Service, Infection Control and any other in-service that may apply.
4. Problem Solving: Recommendations and decision making reflect strong analytical skills and focus on quality, cost containment, and impact of change on other departments.
5. Customer Service Management: Incorporates the Medical Center's Customer Service goals in developing and/or revising departmental policies and systems. Continually reviews the service delivery process to exceed customer expectations. Is perceived as a role model by staff, peers in customer service leadership.
6. Project Management: Participates in multidisciplinary task forces, committees and projects, demonstrating team spirit and ability to work with different internal customers. When leading a project team demonstrates the ability to bring together different views and skills toward timely and effective completion of project objectives.
1. Prepares monthly work schedules for department, ensuring adequate coverage by coordinating the vacation and holiday schedules; approves overtime as necessary and arranges coverage for absent staff; maintains employee attendance records (including vacation time, sick days) and processes Ultratime for staff.
2. Responsible for quality improvement and quality control activities for all workstations,
including reviewing the accuracy and timeliness of reports. Delegates responsibilities to
staff and technical specialists as necessary.
3. Maintains good communications with Medical and nursing staff; investigates and resolves
problems in an efficient and timely manner
4. Monitors supply levels for all areas of responsibility ensuring stock does not fall below or
over required levels to ensure continuous testing ability. Delegates responsibilities to
technical specialists as needed.
5. Ensures department is in compliance with CAP, JCAHO, New York City and State
Department of Health regulations. Actively participates in all preparations necessary for
regulatory inspections of the laboratory.
6. Supervises the daily activities of all technologists, technicians, and technical specialists
Assigns tasks including work to technical specialists as necessary. Assists when necessary
in all testing areas.
7. Writes and reviews validation protocols, policies and procedures for manual, automated and new testing procedures.
8. Ensures new employees are trained properly and may delegate activities to technical specialists as needed.
9. Initiates disciplinary action, including terminations; and completes annual performance appraisals.
10. Develops and introduces new tests and procedures to the laboratory, recommending acquisition of new or upgraded equipment as required
11. * Reviews policies and procedures manual for compliance with the requirements of regulatory agencies; recommends and implements changes as required by changes in regulatory agency policies and requirements.
12. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
Bachelor of Science degree required plus completion of medical laboratory technologist training program required.
NYS Licensure for Histotechnologist, current ASCP certification (eligibility)
Graduation from an approved Histology program.
3+ years of supervisory experience in a laboratory preferred.
Proficient in blood group serology.
Good oral and written communication skills.
Computer literate, knowledge of Hemocare and MS Office preferred.
Good interpersonal skills.
Good organizational skills.
Speaks, reads and writes English to the extent required by the position; knowledge of a second language preferred.
JOB SETTING/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
_ Laboratory Department, contact with staff and all types of laboratory specimens.
Mobility required, lifts supplies, wears protective clothing as needed.___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
POTENTIAL EXPOSURES (Category I, II, III)
Blood I Formaldehyde III
Body Fluid I Radiation II
EtOH III Glutaraldehyde III
The name is a mouthful, but if you choke while trying to get it out, Maimonides Medical Center can help. The not-for-profit hospital offers...