Kern Community College District
This position entails:
• Teaching a broad range of history class offerings with an emphasis on United States history
• Providing course instruction and assessment in accordance with established course learning outcomes and assessment criteria
• Informing students concerning course requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance requirements
• Preparing and grading course assignments and examinations
• Posting and maintaining regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy
• Participating in faculty discussion of curriculum, teaching-learning techniques and teaching materials
• Participating in department, division and college-wide committees
• Developing and revising course materials as necessary to maintain state-of-the art teaching and learning
• Fostering a positive working environment, demonstrating positive communication skills within the college community as well as a respecting the dignity of each individual
This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day or evening classes, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning, and using multiple teaching methodologies.
The Kern Community College District provides a maximum contribution to an excellent health and welfare benefits plan. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 8.25% contribution to the State Teacher’s Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS 125 flexible benefit program.
Knowledge and Abilities
• M.A. in history
• Recent community college teaching experience
• Demonstrated commitment to maintaining currency in the discipline
• Demonstrated success in promoting academic achievement for students with a wide range of skills, motivations, and academic goals
• Commitment to working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues in an environment that promotes teaching, learning, and service for students
Education and Experience
Master’s in history
OR – Bachelor’s in history AND Master’s in political science, humanities, geography, area studies, women’s studies, social science, or ethnic studies
OR – The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form.
AND – A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Posting Date: 01/16/2013
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Contract Academic
Work Week: This is a ten-month (175-day) faculty position eligible for tenure after the fourth year of successful employment.
Minimum Salary: $47,693.88 per year
Maximum Salary: $76,928.28 per year
College/Site: Porterville College
Location: PC-Main Campus
Requested Start Date: 08/22/2013
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled, but those received by Monday, February 4, 2013, 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)explaining your interest in the position and the experience, skills, and expertise that would make you an excellent candidate for this position
• Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
• Copies of legible transcripts
• Copies of syllabi and sample course assignments from recent teaching assignments
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://careers.kccd.edu/postings/3300
BlacksinHigherEd.com - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard