Kern Community College District
The successful applicant will be expected to provide instruction in History of California and United States History – colonial and modern. Other teaching assignments may include: World History, European Civilization, Latin American History, African American History, and Women in American History.
This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day or evening classes, large classes, distance learning, and using multiple teaching methodologies.
Other duties include: participation in student recruitment and articulate transfer programs for the Social Science Department; maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and multimedia technology; assessment of program learning outcomes; collegial participation in departmental, college and discipline-specific professional activities.
Medical, dental, and employee assistance plans are provided for the employee and dependents. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 8.25% contribution to the State Teacher’s Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS 125 flexible benefit program.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Candidates will demonstrate and document through teaching experience and/or graduate coursework that they are broadly prepared and have academic depth in the discipline of history.
• Commitment to teaching, demonstrated by sensitivity to students with a wide range of skills, motivations, and academic or vocational goals; especially with those who are academically underprepared.
• Knowledge of personal computers and willingness to use computers as a teaching tool.
• Ability to use and develop computer-assisted and /or multi-media instructional materials.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with students, colleagues, staff and others. Willingness and ability to work well in team-teaching situations.
• Willingness to use outcomes assessment measures to improve student learning.
• Knowledge of and commitment to the California community college mission.
Education and Experience
Master’s in history
OR – Bachelor’s in history AND Master’s in political science, humanities, geography, area studies, women’s studies, social science, or ethnic studies
OR – The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form.
AND – A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Posting Date: 01/16/2013
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Contract Academic
Work Week: This is a ten-month (175-day) faculty position eligible for tenure after
the fourth year of successful employment.
Minimum Salary: $47,693.88 per year
Maximum Salary: $76,928.28 per year
College/Site: Cerro Coso College
Location: CC-Main Campus, Ridgecrest
Requested Start Date: 08/22/2013
Special Instructions to Applicants
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled, but those received by Monday, February 4, 2013, 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
• Copies of legible transcripts
• Copy of sample syllabi
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://careers.kccd.edu/postings/3304
- 2 years ago - save job