The Prospect Park Alliance is currently seeking a Horticulture Supervisor . The Horticulture Supervisor has the opportunity to work in and contribute to a setting internationally recognized for both historic and contemporary design in landscape architecture. Reporting to the Director of Landscape Management, this position is responsible for overseeing and implementing the planning, installation, and maintenance of all horticultural areas in Prospect Park including park entrances, plantings around buildings and playgrounds, and other related areas. In addition, the Horticulture Supervisor supports the work of general park maintenance by seeing that horticultural sites are tidy and free of litter, by removing snow in the winter and by supporting litter and weed control operations on the park’s perimeter sidewalks and cobblestones.
- Collaborating with park designers to create new beds and/or plantings.
- Scheduling and supervising of horticulture staff.
- Purchasing and ordering supplies and equipment.
- Documenting work of horticulture crews.
- Participating in all landscape tasks including but not limited to: planting, weeding, mowing, pruning, raking, leaf-blowing, weed whacking, garbage collection, herbicide application and snow removal.
- Coordinating horticulture-related projects with volunteers, contractors and interns.
How to apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com .
- A Bachelor degree in Horticulture or related field and two years professional horticulture experience or 5 years + professional horticulture experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience working with native plants, strong weed identification skills and IPM experience desired.
- NYS DEC Pesticide Applicator’s License , or able to obtain one within 6 months.
- NYS Driver’s License in good standing ( CDL preferred).
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
The ideal candidate for the Horticulture Supervisor has proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel and experience working with the public.
The Horticulture Supervisor is a full-time position eligible for benefits including a tax-deferred 403(b) plan. The annual salary for this position is $50,000.
About the Prospect Park Alliance
The Prospect Park Alliance, working in partnership with City of New York and the community, restores, develops, and operates Prospect Park for the enjoyment of all by caring for the natural environment, preserving historic design, and serving the public through facilities and programs. Prospect Park is Brooklyn’s 585-acre historic flagship park, designed by the famed Olmsted and Vaux. It is the home of Brooklyn’s only lake and forest, with nature trails, numerous recreational activities, public educational programs, and volunteer opportunities as well as the new Samuel J. and Ethel LeFrak Center at Lakeside, featuring ice and roller skating, a water playground, and restored lake views. Read more &