Job Summary and Responsibilities
The Hebrew SeniorLife Hospice is designed to provide a Jewish Hospice service to terminally ill patients and their families in the greater Boston area. The philosophy of the Hospice is rooted in Hessed (loving kindness), and Kevod HaBeriyot (honoring life), but Hebrew SeniorLife Hospice Care is open to anyone regardless of religious affiliation; our mission is informed by Jewish values that are shared across many faith traditions and spiritual belief systems.
Hebrew SeniorLife Hospice works collaboratively with patients and families in the final months, weeks, and days of life, with the goal of achieving optimum healing of body and soul when curing is no longer an option. This means helping the patient and family with: physical comfort, emotional and spiritual support, and companionship. The Hospice goal is to help every patient at the end attain a peaceful and pain free death and support the healing and bereavement of the family.
This is an exciting opportunity to come in at the ground level and be part of building an innovative new Hospice program that is poised for clinical excellence and rapid growth. Hospice will complete the continuum of outstanding care delivered by Hebrew SeniorLife, an integrated, eight-site system of health care, housing, research and teaching that serves thousands of seniors in the Greater Boston area and beyond and has been a nationally-recognized industry leader for over a century.
Reporting to the Hospice Director, the Clinical Director will be responsible for the planning, organizing, coordination, and evaluation of all day-to-day aspects of Hospice patient care. This includes coordination of referrals and patient care related supervisory functions. The Clinical Director is a key member of the management team with a pivotal role in designing models of care and establishing standards of clinical excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Plans, develops, directs, organizes, implements, and evaluates clinical services and activities. Participates in the identification and development of new Hospice programs and services.
· Works closely with the Hospice Director and Medical Director to plan and implement policies and procedures relative to clinical operations and set standards for all performance objectives
· Provides direct supervision of the staff RNs and make supervisory visits with patient caregivers as appropriate. Assigns Hospice patients to the appropriate staff, and assures that adequate staffing levels are anticipated and maintained.
· Oversees home health aides, social workers, therapy providers (PT, OT, Speech), and complementary/alternative therapy provides (massage, Reiki, art, music) to ensure high quality care and services by the broader clinical team.
· Educates clinical personnel regarding Hospice admission criteria, policies and procedures, patient care and Hospice philosophy. Ensures that all individuals with direct patient contact are educated in the Hospice philosophy.
· Ensures that there are ongoing, robust staff development and skills training programs to help the clinical team deliver exceptional quality of care.
· Coordinates care and functions as a liaison between all disciplines providing care. Leads and participates as an active member in the interdisciplinary group (IDG) meetings. Identifies need for staff education and assists in the development of in-service programs for the IDG.
· Assures effective coordination between clinical and clerical staff so that paperwork necessary for payroll and billing is submitted accurately and according to established time frames.
· Responds to all inquiries and referrals to the Hospice.
· Promotes public awareness of the services provided by the Hospice and the means to access these services through community education and/or marketing activities
· Collaborates with inpatient staff to assure the implementation of the Interdisciplinary Plan of Care during inpatient stays.
· Assures the timely completion of appropriate patient/family information in the on-call communication log.
· Is responsible for the Hospice's creation, maintenance and protection of accurate and compliant clinical records.
· Implements the Hospice's professional and clinical services Quality Assessment & Performance Improvement (QAPI) program.
· Oversees the Hospice’s CMS Quality Reporting program, ensuring that the requisite quality measures are obtained and reported on a consistently and timely basis.
· Maintains clinical practice skills appropriate for the direction and supervision of Hospice's services, and assumes the responsibilities of the Hospice Director during any absence.
· Previous clinical management experience in Hospice is required.
· Must be a Registered Nurse, currently licensed in the State of Massachusetts with at least two years of nursing experience; minimum of one year in supervision, education or nursing service administration. BSN required, Masters preferred.
· Requires strong skills in the area of Hospice operations, terminal care, knowledge of state and federal Hospice care rules and regulations, and staff/team development. Effective communication and delegation skills are required.
· Must possess the flexibility, creativity, initiative, and desire to innovate that are necessary to succeed in a start-up company.
· Ability to transport self to patient's home/facility; may be multiple locations in a workday.
Hebrew SeniorLife is the largest provider of elder care in the Boston metropolitan area. Founded in 1903, Hebrew SeniorLife is an affiliate of Harvard Medical School and a nonprofit, non-sectarian organization devoted to innovative gerontology and geriatric research , senior health care , long-term nursing home care , and Greater Boston senior housing communities that improve the lives of older adults. From independent living to assisted living , Hebrew SeniorLife provides retirement communities in Massachusetts that are designed to help older adults live healthy independent lives.
Hebrew SeniorLife - 10 months ago
Steward Health Care
- 29 days ago
Seasons Hospice & Palliative Care
Seasons Hospice & Palliative Care
- 9 days ago
RN - Hospice
Steward Health Care
- 30+ days ago