ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS |
1. Prepare student athletes mentally and physically for athletic competition.
2. Enhance student athlete’s personal, physical and social growth and development in a culturally diverse environment.
3. Plans and supervises scheduled workouts and games for assigned team.
4. Instructs participants in the skills and techniques of the position played in the sport.
5. Keeps abreast of current sport knowledge and coaching techniques in designated sport by attending clinics and reviewing related literature.
6. Maintains current knowledge of WIAA and Metro/KingCo League rules, regulations and league by-laws.
7. Attends Varsity contests as requested and provides support for the Head Coach in decision making and management of assigned sports events.
8. Assists the Head Coach in management of District-owned equipment, maintenance of records, issuing athletic awards and other functions associated with promotion and management of the designated sport program.
9. Attends meetings and clinics as required by the Athletic Department, including attending the League pre-season coaches meeting and annual WIAA sponsored rule clinics as they apply to the particular sport.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of
ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work
Reports to building Principal/Athletic Administrator and to building Athletic Director. Receives direction from the Head Coach.
- Minimum of one year of coaching and/or participation in the
- Successful completion of WIAA Coaches Requirements;
- Must be a high school graduate or have completed a GED
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
Preferred, but not required: Valid Washington State Teacher’s Certificate
Certificates & Licenses:
Valid State of Washington Driver’s License
Valid ”hands on” First Aid and CPR Certification
SPS Adult Sexual Misconduct Class
Criminal Justice Fingerprint
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Basic rules, strategies, coaching techniques and skills of the designated sport; effective behavior management techniques, team dynamics and group learning.
Skills in coaching and motivating athletes; effective communication, organizing activities and giving instructions;
Ability to relate to students, staff, administration and the public in a multi-ethnic environment; to be fair and consistent when working with students; to maintain accurate records and supervise fund-raising activities.
Requires substantial extra hours, requires stamina and endurance; requires physical exertion associated with demonstrating techniques; required to travel between sites.
Seattle Public Schools - 8 months ago