The Prospect Park Alliance, working in partnership with City of New York and the community, restores, develops, and operates Prospect Park for the enjoyment of all by caring for the natural environment, preserving historic design, and serving the public through facilities and programs. Prospect Park is Brooklyn’s 585-acre historic flagship park, designed by the famed Olmsted and Vaux. It is the home of Brooklyn’s only lake and forest, with nature trails, numerous recreational activities, educational programs, and volunteer opportunities.
The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a House Manager for the Picnic House facility in Prospect Park to oversee client and vendor relations, act as chief security guard, and provide ongoing maintenance. This position reports to the Director of Rentals and Event Planning and the Manager, Rentals and Business Development with a dotted line to the Vice President for Visitor Services.
Responsibilities for this position include:
Candidates for the House Manager position include three (3) to five (5) years of event, production, security, or maintenance experience with a working understanding of facility operations. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate authoritatively required. Friendly, professional attitude and excellent customer service skills essential. Applicants must have the ability to maintain a flexible schedule, manage multiple tasks and function in a fast-paced and hectic environment. The successful candidate is flexible, proactive and able to work both independently and as a team member. A license valid in the state of New York is required, as is the willingness to drive Parks vehicles. Offers of employment for this position are subject to the candidate’s successful completion of a required pre-employment background check before the first day of work.
- Preparing Picnic House’s main room for events according to housekeeping guidelines
- Scheduling and supervising additional security and maintenance staff as directed
- Supervising caterer’s staff during set-up and clean up, ensuring that they carry out their responsibilities as enumerated in the “Caterer’s Agreement.”
- Coordinating and ensuring proper location of deliveries and other permitted vehicles
- Informing and directing the public about private events at the Picnic House
- As chief security guard, securing the building and provides security services and supervision for onsite events
- Ensuring the security and privacy of clients and guests by asking the public to respect the nature of the private rental agreement
- Providing ongoing painting, maintenance and cleaning of the facility and equipment
- Making minor repairs within ability
- Ordering supplies and managing inventory
- Providing support as needed for client site visits and actual on-site rentals of the facility
- Providing excellent customer service, balancing the needs of the client with Park rules and regulations
- Providing professional phone and email management during regular business hours
- Maintaining a positive attitude and contributing to the work atmosphere by communicating in a professional manner with clients, vendors, co-workers and supervisors
- Other duties as necessary
The schedule for this position is 35 hours per week with the high probability of overtime. The salary for this position is up to $32,000, depending on experience.
The House Manager position is eligible for benefits including a tax-deferred 403(b) plan.
Prospect Park Alliance - 10 months ago