Under close supervision, performs custodial and/or laundry duties which include keeping County facilities clean and orderly. Cleans and maintains the appearance of offices, restrooms and floors. Performs the services of washing, sorting, drying, processing and delivering laundry, towels and linens as required. Performs all work using the appropriate safety procedures and equipment.
This is a job classification within the General/Road Maintenance job family. This classification is responsible for one or more general levels of maintenance. The Housekeeper’s duties may vary depending on the area of assignment. Assignments may be made to a Custodial Unit, or a Laundry Unit of a facility. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department. Late night work may be required. This classification may require work in a secure facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs general cleaning, sweeping, mopping, dusting, scrubbing, vacuuming, emptying waste baskets and recycling containers. Cleans and disinfects restrooms; assembles, irons, folds laundry; maintains replacement clothing room.
- Operates buffer, stripper, waxer, vacuum, and carpet cleaning machines.
- Cleans walls, windows, light fixtures, air supply/ return registers, and disinfects restrooms.
- Operates laundry equipment and receives and sorts soiled laundry, towels, and linens for commercial laundry. Loads and unloads processed laundry and delivers as required.
- Inspects clothing for cleanliness and provides proper care by mending torn clothing as required. Monitors and maintains inventory of cleaning and laundry supplies. May handle contaminated articles. Replaces laundry chemicals as required.
- May secure and lock building. Turns out lights in areas completed. Replaces light bulbs, moves office furniture and other items as required.
- May assist groundskeeper in yard work.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
One (1) year of general housekeeping or laundry attending and any combination of training and experience in custodial or manual labor which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Must be at least 21 years of age.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of janitorial/custodian/laundry functions.
- Practices and techniques with cleaning equipment, products, and caring for garments and linens.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations.
- Operating cleaning equipment, such as buffers, strippers, waxers, vacuums, carpet cleaning machines, and commercial washers and dryers.
- Cleaning windows, dusting furniture, and unstopping toilets.
- Both verbal and written communication, in English.
- Understand, read, and follow instructions spoken or written in English and communicate effectively to perform the job functions, as required.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage timelines and meet deadlines.
- Sort laundry items by color or type.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, respond to supervisory directions in a professional manner, and occasionally communicate with the general public.
- Safely and correctly operate cleaning and laundering equipment.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate basic custodial and laundry equipment. Subject to frequent standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs or ladders, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to occasional contact with communicable diseases, radiation, hazardous waste, human fecal matter and foul odors. May work in areas that are wet, and frequently handle wet articles of clothing or equipment.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 3:30 PM to 12:00 AM Monday through Friday
Works some holidays, nights and weekends
Department: Juvenile Probation
Location: 2515 S. Congress Ave. Austin
Drug Test Required
Physical Exam Required
Criminal, Driving, Education & Employment Background Check Required