The Human Resource Services Division (HRSD) is recruiting for a Human Resource Consultant 4 (HRC4). The mission of the Employment Security Department (ESD) is to help Washington’s workers and employers succeed in the global economy by delivering superior employment services, timely unemployment insurance benefits, and a fair and stable unemployment insurance system.
The Human Resource Services Division (HRSD) supports the department’s mission by providing operational support in the areas of payroll, labor relations, consulting, policy development, and training for all managers, supervisors and employees of ESD. As a member of the ESD HR team, this position provides agency-wide HR consultation to staff and managers in the resolution, development and delivery of HR-related issues and services.
- Consult with and advise managers on complex personnel processes and procedures.
- Provide expert level consultation to supervisors and managers in the areas of classification, compensation, recruitment, equal opportunity and affirmative action, family medical leave/shared leave, reasonable accommodation, collective bargaining, performance management, investigations and discipline.
- Conduct investigations of complaints of discrimination and misconduct, and prepare investigation reports.
- Research and provide interpretation and advice to agency staff and management regarding Collective Bargaining Agreement, WAC, other state and federal rules and laws and policies and procedures.
- Independently or in conjunction with agency classification specialist, review, consult on and approve reallocation or allocation requests and other position actions.
- Represent the agency in hearings and meetings, including employee grievances, disciplinary, Personnel Resources Board and unemployment compensation.
- Conduct and coordinate investigations.
- Coordinate with agency management, union staff and Labor Relations Office in mediation conferences, hearings, appeals and settlement discussions.
- Mastery-level knowledge of human resource laws, principles, policies and practices.
- Working-level human resources consulting skill — provide human resource consultation.
- Working-level writing skills - convey information in writing according to the needs of the audience.
- Mastery-level oral communication skills - convey information orally according to the needs of the audience, and receive and understand spoken information.
- Working-level problem solving skills.
Attach a cover letter to your on-line application (either through the Text Resume / Edit Resume field or the Add Attachment(s) field).
A resume will not substitute for the "work experience" section of the application.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate ‘how’.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.
For inquiries about this opportunity, please contact the Recruitment Team at 360-725-9400 or
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the application process or needing this job announcement in an alternate format should provide their contact information
Employment Security Department is an equal-opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Washington Relay Service–711
Employment Security Department - 16 months ago