Works under moderate supervision and normally receives detailed instruction on work assignments. Supports Human Resources management activities in various divisions throughout the organization. Assists in administration of Human Resources management programs. Performs Human Resources support activities and maintains confidentiality regarding Human Resources related issues.
This is a job classification within the Human Resources job family.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enter, track, and maintain personnel, organizational, staffing and employee injury information in Access databases and SAP/HRIS systems; prepares and processes personnel actions in SAP/HRIS systems; drafts letters and other business correspondence; prepare, process, monitor and distribute Workers Compensation forms, and various periodic notices and reports, all with 100% accuracy.
- Manage hard copy personnel and other employment-related records, including periodic archiving activities.
- Process, track and manage job postings and applications in NeoGov.
- Coordinate and conduct New Employee Orientation and Exit interviews.
- Assist in coordinating various training sessions.
- Assist in administering process for employee leave including Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leaves.
- Process and track various employee requests, including reimbursements for license/certification.
- Coordinate, draft and distribute various employee notices and periodic newsletter.
- Coordinates administrative processing of new hires and terminations. Processes applications, pre-employment screening, testing, scheduling interviews, meetings, training sessions, conducting employment verifications, responding to applicants regarding job openings, and responding to departmental and other inquires related to Human Resources issues. Prepares job postings and job descriptions, as required.
- Logs data and maintains personnel and/or payroll files, records and/or budget information.
- Assists in the administration and communication of policies and procedures. Responds to requests from employees, applicants, public, management, and other County departments regarding ADA, FMLA, FLSA, Workers Compensation, health insurance, billings, employee benefits enrollment, hiring procedures, job requirements, training and light duty assignments. Processes required forms and provides recommendations concerning procedures and personnel issues, as required.
- Prepares, processes and monitors Personnel Action Forms and coordinates with payroll personnel ensuring conformity to State and Federal laws and regulations and County policies.
- Processes and logs various personnel actions including employee performance appraisal forms, family medical leave requests, vacation requests, and time-sheets.
- Assists in evaluating jobs, preparing job descriptions, conducting internal and external surveys to compile information, and analyzing information for reports and presentations.
- Drafts, develops and processes memos, letters, reports, newsletters, forms, and other documents.
- Assists with payroll functions, and maintaining training records and data. Researches and produces Human Resources related statistical reports and presentations, as required.
- Advises management and employees on Human Resources issues, Employment Law, Civil Service Regulations, County Policy, FLSA, FMLA, ADA, Workers Compensation, and Sheriff's Office Policy.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree in Personnel Management, Human Resources Management, Business Administration or a directly related field AND three (3) years of administrative experience supporting Human Resources activities;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
This position consists of a high volume of process and multi-tasking which requires effective organization and management of multiple assignments and the ability to prioritize and make necessary adjustments in a rapidly changing environment with competing priorities. This position normally receives detailed instruction on work assignments, which requires the ability for the incumbent to be able to effectively accept instruction and constructive feedback.
*Minimum one (1) year experience maintaining information in a HR database such as SAP, PeopleSoft, etc.
*Experience with NeoGov On-Line Recruiting System
*Intermediate to proficient level of experience in Microsoft Office Suite to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Access
*Bilingual in English/Spanish (Fluent in Speaking and Writing)
*Specialized coursework in the area of Human Resources
*Bachelor's degree in Personnel Management, Human Resources Management, Public Administration, Business Administration
*Valid Texas Driver's License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- File management and techniques.
- County policies, procedures and terminology.
- Principles and practices of Human Resources management.
- Federal, State, and Local regulations and laws pertaining to employment, Workers Compensation, American with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Resolving complex problems.
- Conducting research and presenting information.
- Compiling data and generating reports.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Maintain confidential data and information.
- Create effective filing systems and retrieve and disseminate information.
- Work independently and accomplish department/division objectives.
- Compile data and to write clear and comprehensive reports.
- Perform multitasking.
- Explain information.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 20-50 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Location: 700 Lavaca Street, Austin
Department: Transportation & Natural Resources
Driving, Education and Employment and Criminal Background Check Required