Human Resources Business Partner
athena’s HR Department is focused on building a high-performing company culture comprised of engaged employees who collaborate to achieve athena’s mission. The Human Resources Business Partner acts as a key strategic business partner to assigned business divisions. The incumbent will collaborate with HR and divisional leadership to define and execute HR strategies, programs and processes that drive performance excellence.
The Human Resources Business Partner (Manager level employee) will work in our headquarters, located in Watertown, Massachusetts. (S)he will report to the Senior Manager of Human Resources Business Partnering and will support our high performing sales and marketing teams. There is the potential over time for these groups to change so we are looking for a highly adaptive individual who is comfortable working with different areas of our rapidly growing company. This role will require up to 15% travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Build upon existing performance programs (competency models, appraisal forms, systems) in designing and implementing new programs in support of performance excellence (e.g. job rotation, career path definition and succession planning).
- Provide expertise to hiring managers in the execution of the annual review cycle, semi-annual People Review, annual 360 degree review process and other performance actions, including pulse checks, action plans and terminations. This includes review, follow-up and approval of documentation and delivery participation, as appropriate;
- Represent HR to assigned departments as the primary contact for all employee relations matters. This includes proactively implementing manager/team-building activities, coaching employees on internal career paths, responding to general policy and process questions and providing dispute/conflict resolution and mediation skills, as necessary.
- Advocate and role model athena’s cultural guiding principles to employees and management, which can mean purporting and/or executing difficult actions that are for the “greater good” over the individual;
Employee Development and Training
- Partner with hiring managers (within assigned departments) and the Recruiting team to fill open positions with top-notch candidates within our time-to-fill goals.
- Responsible for understanding the job design, organizational structure and business dynamics of the divisions the HR Business Partner supports and understanding the requirements of new and current positions, providing organizational context to Recruiting and others on job openings, and working with the Director of HR Business Partnering and department leaders on possible changes to organizational structure and job design to further our engagement and retention goals.
- Responsible for remaining up to date on the staffing plan and organizational structure of their areas and communicating that to Recruiting, which includes partnering with their division leaders, Recruiting and Finance in the quarterly reforecast process to understand and create realistic hiring forecasts that meet capacity model needs.
- Interview candidates for specialized and management level roles and providing meaningful perspective that influences hiring managers in the decision-making process;
- Responsible for internal job placements and redeployment activity, including effective career path discussions, for the positions within the Business Partner’s division(s)
Special Projects- Working collaboratively with the Director and Senior Manager of HR Business Partnering and all members of the HR team to ensure that the department’s overall goals are met; this at times may mean sacrificing individual performance for overall department performance;
- Give stakeholder input to the Learning and Development team to create new hire training and orientation, management and leadership development programs that support the needs of the business divisions.
- Partner with Learning and Development to create content and run specific management development programs.
- Collaborate with Total Rewards to build meaningful career paths and a compelling “Total Rewards” program that supports hiring and retention of high performers.
- Partner with the compensation area on new hire, promotional, and market adjustment offers.
- Facilitate the efficient and effective distribution of Annual Review Cycle materials (ie. performance reviews, salary/incentive recommendations) while serving as the “point-person” for management/staff questions/comments on the ARC process.
Other Responsibilities – Other responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Manager of HR Business Partnering
Skills and Abilities Required:
Education and Experience Required:
- Demonstrated leadership building and implementing programs in one or more functional areas of the HR discipline-- which may include recruiting, employee relations, performance management, benefits, compensation, training and organizational development—preferably in the technology or professional services industry during a period of rapid growth;
- Ability to provide credible HR guidance to and influence management at all levels, including Senior Leadership;
- Exceptional communication skills, including group presentation and relationship development skills;
- Professional, confident manner and poised and articulate demeanor;
- Ability to work effectively with a wide array of personality types and all job levels;
- Demonstrated history of exemplary ethics and integrity, including ability to handle and maintain the integrity of confidential information;
- Active commitment to the identification and appropriate resolution of all business issues, whether they are rooted in business problems or are pure compliance concerns;
- Demonstrated ability to assume sole and independent responsibility for projects;
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to significant matters.
athenahealth, Inc. is a leading provider of web-based business services for medical groups. athenahealth’s service offerings are based on proprietary web-native practice management and electronic health record (EHR) software, a continuously updated payer knowledge-base, integrated back-office service operations, and automated and live patient communication services.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrated history of change management successes related to HR operations.
- Approximately 5 years or more of experience gained through increasingly responsible positions within Human Resources.
- A generalist background is preferred, however broad knowledge of employment, compensation, organizational planning, employee relations, and training and development is required.
- Designations such as PHR, SPHR are helpful but not required.
- 22 months ago - save job
athenahealth knows that managing physician practices can result in a splitting headache, especially when patients are late paying bills or...