The Human Resources team has earned a reputation as an innovative, proactive, customer-oriented group who provide vision and leadership for programs and practices that allow the agency to leverage the very best from its talented workforce. The intern in this group will play an important role in the design and implementation of various strategic HR initiatives.
With the guidance and mentoring of senior staff, this position will provide a hands-on learning experience in many of the primary areas of human resource management. Examples of intern responsibilities include:
- Support the agencys recruiting program; assist with the preparation and advertising of job announcements, maintain applications and related records, prepare correspondence, and respond to candidate inquiries.
- Participate in Onboarding and Orientation efforts; prepare information packets, update records and files, and contribute to ongoing enhancement initiatives.
- Assist with the employee benefits program; assist with coordinating health benefit fairs and the open enrollment period, complete data audits, and maintain files and records.
- Support various aspects of the performance management program; assist with the preparation of career development tools and resources for employees and managers, assist with maintaining data and statistics, and assist with processing performance evaluations.
- Participate in various agency-wide program initiatives such as Rewards and Recognition, Wellness, Training and Development, and other programs related to organizational effectiveness.
- Respond to requests for information from employees, managers, member agencies, or the public.
SANDAG employees are known for their commitment to excellence and passion for the work they do. We look for the same qualities in interns. To be most successful in this position, our ideal candidate would have the following education, experience, and attributes:
- Graduate or final year undergraduate level coursework in human resources, business or public administration, or a related field.
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment while working with sensitive and highly confidential information.
- Ability to independently complete complex assignments that involve researching, quantitative analysis, and synthesizing information into written summaries, reports, or recommendations.
- Proficient computer skills with MS Word, MS Excel, and Internet research.
- Ability to communicate with various audiences using exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to perform a variety of tasks typical of an entry-level human resources position.
Program, Pay, and Perks
This internship is offered as a one-year position, working approximately 30 to 40 hours per week. The work is performed during SANDAGs normal business hours; a specific schedule would be worked out between the intern and manager.
Interns are paid a starting rate of $13.50 per hour and are provided with several perks such as pro-rated holiday pay, a regional transit pass, Transportation Demand Management (TDM) incentives, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
How to Apply
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this internship by sending us a completed Employment Application form along with a recent 2-to-3 page writing sample. A cover letter describing how this internship would contribute to your career goals in the human resources field is highly desirable.
The Employment Application form can be downloaded from the Careers section of the SANDAG Web site. Once completed, your application and writing sample can be e-mailed to email@example.com or sent to SANDAG, Attn: Human Resources, 401 B Street, Suite 800, San Diego, CA 92101.
Apply immediately. We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. The internship is expected to start in May 2013.
Any questions regarding this internship or application procedures can be referred to Rachel Nycholat, Human Resources Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (619) 699-1962.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
San Diego Association of Governments - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) is comprised of 18 city and county governments which serve as a forum for regional...