Under general supervision of the Human Resources Manager, this position performs a full range of duties related to the functions of the Human Resources Department as assigned. This position provides assistance to the Human Resources Department by processing information and preparing reports as well as assisting with projects and assisting citizens and City employees with HR related matters.
Duties and Responsibilities/Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a wide variety of HR duties.
- Provide assistance with processing payroll which includes auditing timesheets; balancing reports; maintaining employee earnings and leave balances; performing payroll calculations; preparing checks; maintaining related records; filing tax and voluntary deduction reports, and processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments and preparing accounting transactions. Research discrepancies; respond to and resolve payroll-related inquiries in a timely, effective and professional manner.
- Maintain familiarity, give input and assist with other HR functions including compensation; training performance management; worker’s compensation and risk management.
- Respond to employment verifications and salary surveys.
- Compose, prepare and review a variety of reports, memorandums, presentations and documents as assigned; distribute reports for review and use by HR staff.
- Provide HR information and assistance to managers, employees and the general public.
- ack up support to Payroll Administrator.
Work as a cooperative and supportive member of the HR team to provide exceptional customer service.
Comply with all written City policies and procedures.
Adhere to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
Exhibit strong professional judgment, decision-making, and ethics.
Interpret and apply pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations, particularly those applicable to payroll administration.
Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of mathematics and statistics.
- Operate various types of office equipment including computers and calculators.
- Tactfully respond to requests and inquiries from employees, supervisors, and the general public.
- Organize work for timely completion.
- The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
- Positively influence organization and its employees through words and action.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
High School Diploma or GED required. Two (2) years of experience involving general office or clerical work required.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Two (2) to five (5) years of experience in Human Resources in the function of compensation, benefits, training, employee relations, employment and/or performance management.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
Some tasks require visual and sound perception and discrimination and oral communications ability.
Limited exposure to environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.